rear suspension bump stops

My li'l ol car has passed the MOT but I have written notification on the report form that my rear suspension bump stops are badly wasting away. How important are they and are they easy to replace? I presume that they are the rubbery things at the bottom of the suspension coil so that if I go over big bumps they stop metal to metal graunching of the suspension piston and the frame. Can I just forget about them? Are they an MOT failure thingie???

Reply to
Julie Andrews

If it's the rubbery things at the top of the shock absorber then you can pretty much forget about them unless you'll be carrying heavy loads. There may also be rubber stops that limit the fully extended position of the suspension. Usually ys they are MoT items.

Reply to
adder

Bump stops are the things that stop the suspensions from bottoming-out with a loud crash when you hit a bump. , and maybe stop the springs from compressing too much, and breaking - which can be a bit nasty...

Reply to
R. Murphy

are they easy to replace?

Reply to
Julie Andrews

Not usually, but I guess it depends on the car

Reply to
R. Murphy