Renault 5 fumes

I've an old Renault 5 that leaks so much funes, you'd think there was a fire in the back seat.

It seems that the seals have gone under the bonnet, so fumes are coming in via the fan, or perhaps fumes are coming in via the back door.

Has anyone else had this problem, is it common, or just typical wierd French design.

Thanks

Tony

Don't forget you've got a (the?) silencer *inside* the left hand wing on these. Well known for rotting out and bodging.

JB

Reply to
JB

Do you mean the box on the exhaust (obviously i'm no super mehanic) in that case its ok.

Otherwise, do you mean the front of back left wing. Do I look under the car..?

Many thanks!

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Yes, the main silencer located inside the lefthand wing. These often rot badly where behind the box itself, right up against the inner wing. The fumes often get sucked in through other rust holes or cable holes on the bulkhead. Bloody silly place for an exhaust box anyway.

JB

Reply to
JB

Yeah.. it was all rusted behind there, though the rest of the car was ok...

One more question.

I'm a bit confused though..

Can you explain..

The exhaust is the same as all other cars I've seen, the exhaust just sits under the car, what do you mean its 'inside the left wing'?

Thanks

Reply to
Tony

The message from "Tony" contains these words:

Some models of R5 had the exhaust muffler in the wing near the tyre. I think it may have been the early ones that had the in engine running north/south with a skew gear driving the FWD box.

Reply to
Guy King

Can we establish the year/model of this Renault 5? i.e. is it the original pre-1985 Renault 5, or a post 1985 Supercinq?

Although they use the same basic engine block, the rest of the car is totally different. Including the exhaust system.

Rich.

Reply to
Rich Russell