Renault Kangoo Immobiliser

I've just bought a Renault Kangoo 1.4 RXE (2000) with a V% but without keys (I think the other way around might have been easier!)

I have got a replacement ignition lock, petrol cap and door locks from a scrapped Kangoo van. Fitting was not a problem! However I now cannot defeat the immobiliser.

From my reading on the internet, it appears the key is hard coded, so am I correct in assuming I need to get an auto-electrician in to update my immobiliser ECU.

Or, can I replace the "immobiliser" units with the one(s) from the scrapped van? If I do, what units do I need? I know the encoder is behind the dash, but are there other units in the car and if so, where are they?

All help and suggestions appreciated.

(I've tried the "hold the central locking button for 5s etc.) no luck!

Cheers

Peter Wiltshire

Reply to
loadsadogs

Join the folks who may know:

Davey

Auto electrician is the way to go, start swapping out other parts and your likely to need to have the ecu reset many parts now need to be 'authorised' to operate.

Reply to
steve robinson

Autodata:

'Immobilizer can only be programmed using diagnostic equipment.'

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It wouldn't be much of an immobiliser if it could be quickly and easily got-around by somebody with a screwdriver, would it?

It's kinda the whole point of having one in the first place.

Reply to
Adrian

As I guess you know, but for clarification, matching a new key to some vehicles can be done if you are already in possession of one, or sometimes two, keys that are already matched.

That is not the case with the OP's vehicle.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Indeed.

And what sort of person would typically be trying to defeat an immobiliser without having any keys in their possession?

Reply to
Adrian

Any reputable engine mappers ought to be remove the immobiliser coding from the existing engine ECU (and as no-one hot wires cars on the off chance that this has been done it isn't going to affect security.) "Immo off" is the general term people use discussing this.

Reply to
Scott M

It's a long story, but the person I bought the car from had it as a project car and in the mists of time, lost the keys. I do have the V5, so it is fu lly legit! I must be honest that if I had realised it was going to be so di fficult I probably would have given it a miss (even though it was dirt chea p). You live an learn.

Reply to
loadsadogs

Take the v5 to the dealership they should from the records be able to produce you a key , probably wont get much chane out of £200 though

Reply to
steve robinson
[...]

The OP has already changed all the locks, so a key for the vehicle 'as- made' would be useless.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Change em back, its likely to work out far cheaper

Reply to
steve robinson

£80, new transponders in the keys and the ECU re-educated :-)

Then it started sporadically!

Tried the TDC sensor, no effect, then removed the multiway connector on the ECU, sprayed some contact cleaner in there and good to go!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
loadsadogs