Renault Megane immobiliser (2023 Update)

Renault Megane 2.0 8v 1998. Did a service and also took the battery out to clean out all the crud that had collected there. Got a bit dark so I left the battery off till next morning but now car won't start and the key fob won't operate the central locking and the immobiliser light on the dash won't come on or flash!! Any idea what the f*ck's up. The c/l operates from the button inside car but nothing from key fob. Any help appreciated?

Reply to
Redwood

Immobiliser unit is quite probably knackered. This happens quite a lot on early model Meganes and if you're lucky your local auto-electrician will know a man who can, but it'll cost around £130 to fix - there's a little black box that can over-ride it. However, there are some Meganes out there with one type of immobiliser which no-one will touch and which the little black box doesn't work with.

I've scrapped a couple of Meganes for precisely this reason, people leaving lights on overnight and the immobiliser goes wrong. Renault want obscene money for a new ECU (guess where the immobiliser is).

Luckily, scrap is at nearly £200 a ton at the moment.

Reply to
Pete M

FFS don't tell me that, my sisters gonna bloody kill me as it's her car. She said the immobiliser was a bit funny before as you had to use the key fob to unlock the doors then once inside you had to blip the key fob twice again to lock & unlock the doors and then you had a few seconds to start it up. Now the damn thing won't even unlock the doors with the key fob and no immobiliser light on the dash.

Reply to
Redwood

You do know that the immobiliser re engages after 1 minute if the key is left in? you have to remove the key and unlock the central locking again.

some models: press unlock button (in car) for more than 5 seconds, then press key unlock button. Worth a try, you have nothing to lose.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Connect it all up and don't say anything. Deny all knowledge of a fault and say that it was working ok, and that the fault must have got worse ;)

I bet she doesn't believe you

Reply to
Abo

same problem can't move car to get it fixed any chance you can help me with the code?

url:

jaime carter

Hi. I have a problem with Renault Scenic 1998. My remote dont work. I start the car with key fob but central locking dont working. I change batery but stil dont work. I have notice that on dash board immo light dont flash. Wh y? I hope for quick answer. Thanks. Ivan.

Reply to
motorotor85

Just fixed the one on my car. The actual switch on the PCB had failed.

Does yours do say boot alone. and does that function work? Have you a second key which does work?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

try these people:

MrCheerful

With a lot of cars there is often a documented procedure for re-calibrating the key fob for unlocking the doors

The immobilizer is often a completely different mechanism and probably doesn't require a battery in the key fob at all.

Reply to
alan_m

My key can start the car. Immobiliser light dont flashing anyway. I check t he fuses but they are all ok. To be re-synhronising the key must start prog ram mode right? In program mode immo light must to flashing to retype 4 dig ital code but in this case immo light dont flashing.

Reply to
motorotor85

or

Scroll down the page for possible Megane instructions

Reply to
alan_m

I have used this guy, he seems to know his stuff.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Hi, I got the same problem. Disconnect the battery and connect again. But now the engine doesn't start. Can you help with the issue? Or can you give the code to start the engine?

Reply to
Muhammad Irfan