New keys & locks for 97 Honda Accord = new immobiliser?

Hi,

I have a 97 Honda Accord Aerodeck (Wagon) and one of the keys was in my bag which was stolen. Unfortunately my address was on my driving licence which was also in the bag, and it's also possible that the person who stole the bag knows me and knows which is my car. As such I probably need to get the locks changed.

I still have the original red programming key, plus one black key and one grey (valet) key.

My question is: how much do I actually need to get changed?

I was hoping that I would be able to get a new set of keys and locks (1 ignition, 1 boot, 2 doors + 1 glovebox) and then train the new keys to the car, but I don't know if a new set of keys and locks can be trained to the immobiliser which is already in the car? Is it possible that I might need a new immobiliser unit as well?

Thanks in advance, Al Reynolds

Reply to
Al Reynolds

dude, it's an 11 year old car. and it's an accord wagon. and it's just a key - they don't know what car it's for. if you were a crack-head looking to make a couple of bucks by trying to steal some guy's bag and hoping to get your laptop, but instead, all they get is a bunch of soiled undies, a few bucks from a wallet, and a drivers license, do you really think they're going to drive across town to your house, just in case this key with "honda" written on it is something sexy like a prelude? or an s2000? no, they're going to dump your stuff in an alley and head on out. maybe you'll get a call in 6 months from your local cop shop asking whether you want your stuff back, but after it's been part of the local vagrants urinal facilities for the intervening period, maybe not.

besides, the cost of the lock change you're looking at is gigantic. just get a steering wheel lock and forget about it.

Reply to
jim beam

Hey, Easy on him. That Honda may be his asset no. 1. I couldn'care less for a 11 year old car. Changing key/locks on doors may cost more than the value of car, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

In a way, you're both right.

If I'd just had it nicked by a stranger I'd not be bothered about the lost key at all, but there's a strong possibility that this person works on the same site as me, and if they're prepared to nick my bag then they might well go back to my car for more. I don't want to never be able to leave anything valuable in my car.

I was surprised to find that my local Honda service department were open this morning, so I asked about possibilities. Top-end is replacement of the whole system including all lock cylinders, keys, and the immobiliser unit all for £1000, which is more than double what the car is worth! Bottom end of what they could offer would be to change just the door and tailgate locks with non-coded keys so that I would have one key to open the doors and one to start the car. This way if someone does have the key they can't get in without breaking in, but they still wanted £300 just for that!

My car is only worth about £400 but to replace it with something similar would cost me a lot more, and I wouldn't know what I was getting - I know my car because I've kept it serviced and looked after it well, and that has a lot of value in my book.

My current plan? I'm going for disabling the passenger and boot locks (with a screwdriver), and I'll try and pick up a drivers door lock cylinder and matching key so I can replace that cylinder. I hopefully should be able to do the whole lot for less than £50.

If anyone has any better ideas I'd happily hear them!

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

disconnecting the locks would be better than wrecking them and confusing.(free) adding a deadlock to the drivers door would keep them out (20 quid) Adding a disclok would mean the car is undrivable (70 quid) An alarm system with pager will warn you wherever you are (100 quid) A hidden switch will prevent it starting even with the right key (very cheap)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

All you need to do is reprogram the immobilizer with the keys you have. The old key will not then start the car. I would forget worrying about your keys and start warring about identity threat as with your drivers license he can steal a lot more...

Reply to
Woody

Indeed.

It's a pisser.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Just buy a krooklok, steering wheel diskloc or whatever and use it at night for a few months. If nothing's happened after then, forget about it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Reply to
PCPaul

That looks like a GM lock not for a Honda!

Reply to
Dave

L-O-f*ing-L! :)

Reply to