Respray?

Some so and so has sprayed an orange stripe down the side of our silver Volvo in what looks like permanent paint. Does this mean a complete respray or are there other techniques for either getting it off or what?

E.

Reply to
eastender

Rubbing compound (T-cut, Farecla G3 etc.) and a couple of hours elbow grease, it'll be as good as new.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

some git did that to mine, i used T-cut to shift it, but it meant i had to polish the whole car after wards!

Reply to
reg

That sounds encouraging ­ I've just had the 'we're moving out of London, I hate it round here', and 'you're paying for a respray, and 'you're not parking it down there again' conversation with my wife.

I take it a body shop (I know the bloke who runs one at the end of our road) could do this as I don't feel competent. Is this the sort of thing that insurance would pay out on?

E.

Reply to
eastender

I'd seriously not bother.

A bottle of T-Cut and a cloth, and an afternoon and it'll be solved.

If you can polish furniture, you can T-Cut your car.

Even if you're not confident with that, take it *quickly* to a valeter=20 who does T-Cutting and polishing, and ask him to do it.

=A350, and you've got a very shiny car.

Pete.

--=20 NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be deleted Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Reply to
Pete Smith

The message from eastender contains these words:

Happened here a while ago. Just wash it off soonest with thinners. Then wash the thinners off straight away with soapy water.

Reply to
Guy King

Better that than being keyed as we have been,,,

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

Just do it yourself, you just polish it until there's no spray-paint left :) You may have to do the whole car though, it could look a little strange having one shiny side :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Cellulose thinners should wash it off easily. The cheap stuff is good enough. IME modern car finishes are unnafected by it, but try an out of the way area first, just to be sure. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If it's really fresh paint try a solvent for that type of paint. eg If it's a cellulose spray try cellulose thinners (hint: smell it). This only works for really fresh paint. The sooner the better.

EXTREEME CAUTION...

Test it on an out of site area first. Do not soak the whole area. Just dampen a cloth and wipe on an off again. If you leave it wet with thinners it will probably effect the original paint and make a right mess.

Reply to
CWatters

I doubt it, original post was 2 days ago ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

The message from "Tony Bond \(UncleFista\)" contains these words:

I took spray off the wife's the next day - but then found some more in the grille about a week later. Thinners still took it off OK. Certainly worth a try first.

Reply to
Guy King

Yes, well it's Friday night (happened on Wednesday) and we've not done anything yet as I've had to use the car. Going to ask Mick, friendly neighbourhood body shop man, for his opinion tomorrow.

E.

Reply to
eastender

Don't know if you have it there in the UK, but we have a product named Mr Muscle here in OZ.. it's an oven cleaner. When i was working for a used car yard we use to spray it on the cars that had sign writing done on them so as to bring it back to the original paint work. Spray in on... and the writing would come straight off w/o any damage to the paint underneath. Might work for you to. Hope that helps

Reply to
geoffharrison

Leave it on & it will strip your paintwork. It's great for aggresive cleaning

Reply to
Duncanwood