Reversing kits?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a do-it-yourself reversing kit?

I've looked around the Web and two that get a reasonable review are the Backscan BS200CT and the Targa SR2. Anyone fitted either of these or any other DIY reversing kit?

Last question for today :-)

Thanks for any info,

John Smith.

Reply to
John Smith

They're for wimps. What are bumpers for?

Reply to
Malc

That's quite a good device, however it doesn't provide any warning of a child close to the car and below the level of the rear window. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

If it's the Vellerman one - forget it. It's a very good ultrasound sensor, but no use as a PDC. Not enough sensors to be of use.

If anyone wants a built and tested one cheap, e-mail me.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a factory fitted one on my main car, and an aftermarket one on the other one. And I've never known either fail to spot any object - including things like hedges at the side, which can be a pain.

And yes, one picked up a toddler in a carpark I'd not seen. Heard the mother screaming after I'd stopped, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought you were supposed to use them for avoidance, not targetting.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

I fitted one of these

a year ago to my Land Rover and another one to my wifes Saab aswhere we live there is only very tight roadside parking, I can manovrefar more confidently now.On my land rover the display is fitted in the top centre of the dashand my wife has hers ontop of the rear-view mirror, both locationswork well. The kit took me an hour or two to fit. Included is a hole cutter for the sensors and sticky pads to hold the control box and display in place. In addition you'll need a drill and some way of connecting a wire from the control box to the reverse lamp wire and another to earth. Easiest way I found is to run the sensor wires up through the boot floor and mount the control box near the back of one of the lamp clusters, then run the wire to the display up a rear pillar, behind the heasdlining and either down the mirror stalk or down a front pillar.

Both of the kits are still working fine, never had a problem and the one in the land rover has a hard life.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In addition it's a 4 sensor kit and the display shows you a distance as well as roughly where the 'thing' is. and it beeps at you too (so you can be looking out of the back window and still hear your rough distance). I've found it'll spot anything down to the width of a narrow bollard (4 inches wide ish).

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

The message from Mr.Nice. contains these words:

The eBay advert linked to explicitly says it's the 2-sensor model.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Ed Simmonds" contains these words:

Don't they just beep faster and faster till a continuous tone means you've run out of space?

Reply to
Guy King

;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Toyota sell them. Two sensors. Not idiot proof because they will not detect narrow obstacles such as posts at the centre of the vehicle line. Brill for parallel parking though. Also have a set fitted to Range Rover. It has four sensors and have been colour coded. As good as original fit and supplied and fitted by the dealer.

Some vehicles, those fitted with bulb failure warning perhaps, like BMW and Range Rover need to be fitted with low current switching relays between the reversing lamp and control box to avoid error codes and flashing warning lights in the dash. Don't bother with the type that have a light bar or verbal warning of the distance to an obstacle. All you need are your eyes to check for obstructions and the beeper to gauge your distance to it more accurately.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

a pair of eyes never failed me :O)

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

Yet! The more senses used then the better. The fitment of these things is not a substitute for conventional senses but does supplement and aid the others.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I've no idea what it is, but I suspect it will be Velleman (do Maplin use anybody else's kits!?)

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Sadly, not any more. They used to do their own as well as Vellerman, and some were excellent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Huw" contains these words:

The trouble occurs when people rely on them and don't take proper direct observation. However much you preach - some people will always be lazy/incompetant and not bother to look properly.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Wheras the Velleman kits are overpriced and not terribly good.

Reply to
Guy King

Then they will almost certainly collide with things, however many aids they have.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The message from "Huw" contains these words:

But the more excuses you give 'em not to look round, the less they'll look round.

Reply to
Guy King