Rewire Ford Focus

Any chance of giving a bit of an idiots guide on crimps and crimp tools for general auto electric use (ie, relatively low power stuff like radios and alarms, and higher power stuff like headlamps)? Is it possible to produce decent crimps with something like the PR4 that VWP sell? I'd like to produce tidy wiring and be able to shove new connectors on things, but it's very difficult to know what the right tool is without practical experience of the job...

Reply to
Doki

Bought in but designed to our spec. When one got dented one of our engineers actually repaired/bridged the crack in the substrate as it was our only working example. I could never hope to do such fine soldering.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

I did wonder why you were getting so upset! I avoid the standard preinsulated crimps at all costs, unless it's the only option left or just a temp repair.

It just so happens heatshrink butts come in the same colours, as the cheap and nasty preinsulated connectors. Although the heatshirnk butts are semi-transparent so you can see if you've enough heat to get them to shrink and the glue to melt and fully seal them. Maybe not the most perfect crimp, but they do the job well, and avoid the hassle of soldering (usually in some corner where you can just about get a hand in, but not a hope of getting a soldering iron and solder in at the same time) and using seperate heatshrink (which you normally forget to put on, then have to start again).

On a side note, most repair kits for multiplugs in vehicles come with the terminals precrimped onto a short section of wire. It saves the additional expense of having to have numerous crimping tools.

Reply to
moray

Not quite. Here it's the case that a post approaching acceptable standards is then ruined by the oaf-like use of "ne1," which quite frankly is appalling.

Reply to
DervMan

The Repaults (PR3) is quite simply the dog's bollocks for most UK terminals. As well it should be at over 70 quid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yebbut is a £30 job like the PR4 going to be aqequate for the DIY bod do you think? Is there a grey area of "not hugely durable, but usuable"?

Reply to
Doki

Can't help I'm afraid - I've not owned or tried one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Given it looks like a cheap chinese copy of a thomas & betts crimper with no calibration you'd be better off with any amp or pressmaster one you can find on ebay

Reply to
Duncan Wood