Cheap deals on Castrol GTX right now?

I know its not the best in the world but its a reasonable price for the spec and I have 2 cars to do asap (8.5L) so it makes sense to ask if anyone seen any discounts or deals.

I used see it on offer in B&Qs but they only seem to stock the £20 a time magnatec now when even at full price, the straight GTX was around the £12-13 level for a 5L jug.

I know national tyres is/was doing a £15 oil and filter deal but the nearest one is at least a tenners petrol away so there's no point in doing that.

Anyone seen any please?

Cheers

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

whereabouts are you ? Derek

Reply to
Derek

Halfords has a BOGOF offer on it's fully synth oil at the moment so that's £30 for 10 litres of 5w40 ACEA A3/B3 (looks at the tubs father asked me to buy) Dunno what viscosity you want though.

Reply to
Chris Street

Hertfordshire

Regards

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

Too thin, thanks anyway, I dont want to go through the trials of swapping to a synthetic, especially as ones a turbo and just had its 100,000th mile birthday.

I do hope somewhere has some.

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

With a Turbo synthetic might be a very good idea....

If you are anywhere near watford AND you know someone with a Costco Membership they were selling GTX Magnatec for about £14 for 4.5L. Mobil 1 Synth is about £20 IIRC

Iain Miller

I'd have thought having a turbo a *very* good reason to use a synthetic. Of the correct grade, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More than sufficient reason to get a high temperature stable synthetic oil I'd have said!

Reply to
Chris Street

Likewise. Far less likley to coke on a hot turbo using synth.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Yes, agreed, thank you for all the suggestions, synthetic is great for most people however I don't want it. The T16 engine is not that high tech, its very well known and has run zillions of hours on 10w40 and being a 100,000 mile engine I do not want to change it over and find the little head weep (very normal on these t16s) become a torrent, secondly because its thinner I do not want it disappearing down the bores, plus, different additives react differently with rubber seals, which in my case are getting on now with the car being 10 years old this year. The T series also has hydraulic lifters and I don't want it sounding like a bag of spanners in the morning.

No, even if just one of those happen, its going to make me unhappy ..... just want some bog standard GTX, same as its had for years now.

Lastly, its far more important that the oil is changed regularly, within its expected life, irrespective of the type of the oil used and GTX is an acceptable standard, without going to the no-name corn oil in a box crap oils.

So, no deals on GTX then? Ho well.

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

Saab turbo engines now are are all based on the T16 anyway (excuse any later GM based engines).

Depending on mileage on the engine already. Switching to synth may flush out any deposits and cause seals to leak.

Some say switching to semi-synth is a good compromise.

I ran my old T16S on Either Chevron 5w40, halfords 5W40 or Carlube Semi

10w40. I had real trouble finding off the shelf 10w40 full synth, and hope of finding a decent Ester full synth.

Carlube was the best for me,that was comparing price to results/oil consumption.

I think the original Saab turbo oil was actually a 10w30, with the same mineral oil used in gearboxes. Later Saab 900's switched to gear oil and Saab turbo synth (rebadged mobil 1).

I love how long a Saab will run for, as long as you change the oil regularly.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar