Road Spring?

I had an old Triumph Herald once which seemed to wear unevenly, but not necessarily on the same side. I was too mean to chuck away a half worn pad when I could see no practical reason to do so. If the braking was uneven or in any way affecting the car, then I would think differently. But I never found a problem with this.

If you're a commercial outfit and you only replace one side and the customer has an accident, even for a disconnected reason, then maybe you're for the high jump, in the same way as you have to put a lid on a take-away coffee in case the customer burns himself. But in practical terms I cannot see the problem.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

nope... my extended warranty had just ran out. :o(

Reply to
ellisgm

40k seems incredibly low for camchains to fail.

There's definitely something not right about that car..... sure it hasn't been clocked?

Reply to
SteveH

In news:d871pl$2f2$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com, Rob graham decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

My sister-in-law managed to shatter the two front coil springs on a Megane Coupé.

One of the front coil springs snapped on my Golf Cabriolet

One of the front coil springs on my old W123 Merc 280TE snapped and left the car at very high speeds.

Remind me never to buy a car off you. Anyone who skimps on things like suspension....

Reply to
Pete M

The laughable thing about this topic is that half the cars out there will have uneven suspension springs, but nobody ever tests them and they don't really matter much. If they did matter then you'd have some sort of a problem driving it. You might as well suggest that people should replace wing mirrors in pairs.

Unserviceable shockers - now that's different. You can come off the road with these. But how many people test these?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Well the obvious time is when doing a high speed stop , then one side wiil heat faster than the other & the coeffecient of friction changs quite considerably with temperature, just at the time when you don't want it to.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You don't normally have uneven suspension springs, the car sits on the piss if you do.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The front one snapped on the Sierra a couple of months ago. Cambridge Ford Fast Fit failed to notice when they MOTd it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rob graham" saying something like:

Oddly, I've found the retardation effect is better metal to metal. Must be the friction welding. :O)

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rob graham" saying something like:

Some cars do; from the factory. Sometimes to even up the body because of weight distribution of the engine/gearbox, sometimes to compensate for the weight of the driver on one side.

Sometimes, of course, it's just because it's been cocked up and somebody's fitted an estate or van spring on one side.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com saying something like:

Depends on the car; some cars will do many thousands of miles with a broken bottom coil (the Mk2 Grandad), others less so.

Generally, though, it's a good idea to fix it asap.

You could always howk the corresponding coil off the good one and lower the car; it's what angle grinders are made for. The next step would be a set of Kev allyos, blue neon washer jets and some kickin' bass.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Grimly Curmudgeon decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

The virtues of Mk2 Grandads can never be fully extolled. Brilliant old things.

Reply to
Pete M

The message from "Pete M" contains these words:

Sdly they seem to be driven by really old gits these days. The one who pulled out in front of me in Welshpool the other day must have been blind. How else can you avoid seeing a big bright red car bearing down on you at 30mph and still pull out anyway?

Reply to
Guy King

Not something I have direct experience of, but you may need to compress the spring to get it short enough to thread into place. This is usually done with some special tools, as it could need more force than would be practical with a bit of string.

Some vehicles do have enough suspension movement that you don't need to do that.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Just got my car booked in with the dealership for the coil springs to be replaced. I know I'm a mug, but it's the least hassle. It costs =A3198.

Slightly miffed though - the cheeky sod on the service desk said he didn't know if =A3198 was a single spring, or a pair! Fri#'in fu'#in ba'#ard. He later found out it was for a pair.

Reply to
ellisgm

HOW MUCH? Hell, it's only £30 up here.

Reply to
Conor

Because the metal acts as a friction material. It just also happens to chew up the disc at the same time.

Not always.

Correct.

Reply to
Conor

I can't remember where the OP was posting from, but that's around the going rate for main dealers down here.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan