rough running metro M reg 1.1

I own an M reg 1.1 rover metro, recently it started to rev up and down of its own accord, (up to 4000rpm) on some occassions. The problem is worse when the car is at normal operating temperature. I took it to a rover garage who's diagnosis was to replace the ECU, Stepper motor and the throttle potentiometer, (apparently they could not narrow it down any further, forgive me if i sound a little cynical) at a cost which is about the same as the car is worth, so i declined their offer. I am therefore wondering if i source considerabley cheaper second hand spares and fit them myself whether: a. The replacement ECU needs aligning/tuning to the car. b. If i require any diagnostic or special tools and data to carry out all 3 tasks. It is a lovely car but unless i can do it myself, it will be ecconomically unviable to keep the car. The MOT is due soon which in its current state it will not pass. Thanks very much

Reply to
tim parker

Check all air and vacuum hoses for any sign of leakage. It is probably an air leak. How does it drive? Is it fuel injected?

Reply to
gazzafield

It has a ECU, Stepper motor and the throttle potentiometer so what do you think ?

Reply to
powerstation