Rover 414i cuts out dead...

I have a great little Rover 414i on a P plate, 45,000miles, and it runs fine 99% of the time.

At odd times, say every 30-60 mins or so on a long run, the revs die and the emgine cuts out for a split second - when driving it just seems to restart itself, when idling it simply stops dead - instantly, no choking or spluttering, it just stops and the rev counter goes straight to zero...

It restarts fine, and off I go.

This started two days ago, before that no problems for years.

There is no real pattern, and it is a very intermittant fault. Nothing else is affected, so can I guess at fuel starvation or electrical?

Any ideas what to look at? (I have a Haynes, and am not afraid to get dirty, but I'm no electician!)

Reply to
bigjon

It was the ECU in my case

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Thanks - I'll be off to the breakers then...

Reply to
bigjon

I have some from our yard in my shed,

if you have the number on the side send it and i'll see if i have one.

Reply to
simon

Thanks, I will do as I can't find one locally. ATM the cars gone off to work with the wife, but it will be back tomorrow (hopefully)...

Reply to
bigjon

My personal fave, the crankcase sensor can do this as well. Either dirty contacts or the sensor slowly going do-lally.

Rdgs

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard