Rover214

I recently had the cam belt changed on my 1997 Rover 214. Since it came out of the garage it was running very sluggish and barely doing 30mpg. I took it back to the garage and they checked the timing, which they said was ok. They also checked the exhaust system for a block which there wasn't. Finally they washed out the jets (petrol injectors?). It did run much better after this but I think it has now become more sluggish, although not like before but the petrol consumption is still the same, around 28mpg which is way to low for this car (8valve).

Any ideas?

Thanks S.T.

Reply to
Simon Tudor

get an independent garage to check the cam timing, I have seen these mistimed by garages before, the marks are not particularly easy to see and check.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

id agree with mrcheerful, ive got a 8 valve 214 myself but a 95, no real mystery to them but worth another check on the timing.

Reply to
reg

You are almost certainly a tooth out on one of the camshafts or the crank is a tooth out relative to the cams. I did this on mine once and the performance was abysmal. I sadly cannot remember which camshaft though.

If you pull the upper cam cover off (5 small bolts IIRC) and look at the sprockets there are six spokes on each sprocket. These should line up across both camshafts and there will be a set of A and B markings - it'll be clear if these are incorrect.

Reply to
Chris Street

its an 8 valve so it will only have one cam, but it dose sound like it might be a tooth out.

Reply to
reg

Ah yes, I forgot that there was a K8 and K16 1.4!

Reply to
Chris Street

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I'll check it out.

Thanks S.T.

Reply to
Simon Tudor