Run-flat repairs?

In article , Duncan Wood writes

A very interesting read, Duncan. Thanks for the link.

The tyre wasn't allowed to run flat - I only noticed it'd been punctured 'cos the screw had a large head and it was very visible. I'm content with a repair - don't go hooning around anyway.

FWIW, neither do I buy part-worns, I just think they're a false economy. Had a new tyre put on the front a couple weeks ago and will do the other side before MOT next month. Not cheap, but then I knew that before buying the car.

Cheers all M.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'm failing to see how that's an improvement on looking at the inside of the tyres.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Mike Tomlinson gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Hahahahahahaha... It's normally a bad enough job getting them replaced short of being illegal...

Reply to
Adrian

I frequently find that people have replaced perfectly good tyres, often because they need one or two and decide to buy a matching set. So that is at least one or two per car that come onto the secondhand market. Years ago I used to get quite a few secondhand tyres put on to a particular customers vehicles (he ran a very old fleet of hire cars and maintained them only when needed) I never heard of a problem with any of those secondhand tyres and they must have numbered over a hundred.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In article , Adrian writes

There must be some fleet managers out there with scruples. Not many, probably, but... :o)

I can't believe that all part-worns come from writeoffs.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I did buy one or two part worn tyres a few years ago, and in each case I was able to examine the insides. They had what seemed to be well galvanised puncture pairs, and the side walls were in good condition.

Reply to
Gordon H

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mrcheerful" saying something like:

Exactly. Most of it's hysterical bullshit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

So if you buy a secondhand car with apparently good tyres you immediately replace them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup. But these prejudices are great - keeps the price low. Got a set of 5 near new tyres on wheels where the seller had upgraded to larger wheels for less than the cost of one new same make tyre...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Well, the last two cars I've bought have had all four perfectly legal tyres replaced fairly soon after purchase, yes.

Reply to
Adrian

'vulcanised puncture repairs'

Reply to
Mrcheerful

ROTFL! Maybe I was thinking steel radials.

Reply to
Gordon H

And some car dealers (including supermarkets) will get a set of brand new tyres put on to help sell a car, and the rest may well get flogged as part-worns.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

How many quotes have you got that end up in your sigs? I remember nicking that one about 10 years ago for a sig on my emails.....

Reply to
AstraVanMann

My text editor says 586 lines...

Reply to