Scrap Value?

I've got about half a dozen old alloy wheels (OEM style, mainly pepperpots) and roughly the same number of olde worlde car radiators that no longer hold water (50s/ 60s designs mainly).

I was wondering what sort of scrap value these might have? Enough for a gallon of petrol and takeout would do me, but before I start trying to get through to the not so local metal merchants, thought it worth checking I'm not wasting my time and phone bill doing so :)

Reply to
Stuffed

any plastic or rubber on them, then remove it or it will note be worth taken them in. should get around £20 in the uk

Reply to
bongo rule

There's currently very old tyres still on the rims, the rads of course are bare.

If I can get the tyres off myself then it's worth a phone around and drive out then - Might have some other ally, copper, brass etc to throw in the boot as well which'll be a nice bonus. If I can't get the tyres off myself I'll probably not bother, but worth a try for 15 quid beer money for a drive out in the country :)

Alternately I suppose I could try flogging the wheels, but I really can't imagine they're worth much more than scrap value to anyone.

Reply to
Stuffed

if you do take,, copper ,, alloy ,, brass ,,car batteries,,radiaters etc, then make sure they way them as seperate items, this way you will get more than if you weigh them as one lot.

Reply to
bongo rule

Yep, I'll be taking it all in the boot of a medium/ small saloon, but I intened to take each type out and weigh it seperately - None of this "mixed metals" cheapy crap for me!

Forgot about batteries actually, got a couple of large diesel ones that could go there I suppose - Though I didn't think they got a good price? Also reminds me there was some lead kicking around that needs to get ditched too. And various broken casings and suchlike, though that'll be mixed as there's no way I'm wasting time stripping every last stud etc out of them!

Reply to
Stuffed

I bought some golf parts off a bloke in Kings Lynn. He had a garden full of

80s VW, BMW and Merc alloys, as well as lots of crappy wheels. He was getting not a lot (can't remember the exact figure) for a transit van floor full at the scrappy. I'd sift out the half decent stuff and Ebay it. Any good aftermarket wheels are probably still worth a few quid (old VW BBS 15" wheels vary between 150 - 400 a set depending on condition going from needing a refurb to freshly refurbed with polished rims).
Reply to
Doki

Try eBaying the Alloys

Use a Courier such as Parcel2Go.com (bundle them in 2's) & set postage @ £28.00 & you'll find you get more bids than someone offering collection only

Reply to
A C

I really hate collection-only for items which could be shipped, albeit for £25 or so.

Reply to
Robert

Get some pics of the wheels and post 'em in here - if they're OEM, someone will know what they're from.

Reply to
SteveH

I don't mind not getting much - Not really expecting to, just would be nice to get enough to cover fuel and beer money. Stuff's got to go, and I'd rather see somethnig for it than just skip it.

If there is a set of alloys and I can work out what they fit, and they're not too bad, I might try flogging them. But I've still got the radiators batteries and some lead, brass, copper, wiring looms etc to be shot of, might as well see if I can cram it all in and do it in one trip.

Didn't get chance to phone any merchants today, but hopefully when I do they'll actually offer sensible money unlike the very local one who simply takes for free...

Reply to
Stuffed

Around a fiver each.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

The last I heard, you have to pay them to take batteries off your hands. When I scrapped my old Cav, I was told they would knock £2 off for each tyre left on, and £5 off if the battery was left in. The battery was only a year old anyway, so I took it out.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

I love them when they're just down the road and have very low starting prices. One of my best bargains was a circular saw for 99p!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I got six 17inch CRT monitors for 5UKP! My son drives past the building where they were most days in his Transit...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My friend just got a diesel Fiesta for 99p. Quite good engine if anyone wants one...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke