Seat belts.

I've just had the leather front seat squabs on the old Rover recovered at enormous cost. ;-)

Apart from the splits in the leather (the main reason) there was some damage where the seat belt tongue fits into to the buckle. The buckle is bolted to the seat frame, and the opening to it actually below the level of the seat. So a tendency to hit the leather with the tongue when plugging it in.

The obvious way would be to raise the buckle slightly. To just above the seat edge. Perhaps 2" or so. I'm sure you could weld in a new bit - but I'd be worried about the heat damaging the plastic bits - as well as strength. And bolting on an extension would have the bolt head rubbing on the seat side.

Now there are thousand of buckles with stalks to be found used on Ebay. But all for specific cars. And all you get to go by is a pic. Not found anywhere that supplies new stalks on their own. And complete new belts are unlikely to match the ones in the rear - as well as costing more.

The further snag is the tongue on these belts (Britax?) is a sort of arrow head design. Nothing like modern ones which tend to be rectangular with a hole in the middle. So would need a matching buckle.

I'd guess there was a BL car of similar vintage that used the same make seatbelts, and has the same sort of buckle attached to the seat frame, but longer.

Other thought was to change the tongue to a modern one giving a much wider choice of buckles - but I'd guess this would involve unstitching one end of the belt to fit it - something else I'm not keen on doing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not entirely helpful, but in the dim and distant past I have unstitched and restitched seatbelts for some obscure reason. Probably deprecated by MOT testers these days but if done using strong thread and something like the original stitching pattern it should not become the weak link.

Reply to
newshound

If that changes the way the seatbelt fits, it could possibly lead to injury in the event of an accident. I assume the buckle is where it is to ensure the seatbelt goes over your hips/pelvis, rather than your stomach? Anyway, it's something to check before changing it.

Reply to
GB

Thanks - it might just be the easiest option.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It certainly needs to be below the level of the pelvis. In this case, even if raised a couple of inches, it still would be.

Of course plenty older cars had the buckle attached to the floor, so how the seat belt was relative to the body changed depending on the position of the seat. In this case it is fixed to the seat frame.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would it be possible to stick a flap of leather to the buckle to protect the seat?

Reply to
Rodney Pont

It's not the buckle which causes the damage, but the tongue being plugged into it by feel. And anything stuck to that would stop it engaging.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's funny how I remember you saying that in your original post now!

I can't find any seatbelt extensions with the arrow head fitting on them either.

Reply to
Rodney Pont

Since seat belts are safety critical, mucking about with them just might invalidate your insurance - perhaps something to consider.

Reply to
Roger Mills