Second Brand tyres

A tyre place recently mentioned the names of Pirelli and Michelin Second Brand tyres but I lost the note I made.

Does anyone here know the names of Pirelli and Michelin Second Brand tyres?

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

should point you in the right direction. Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

Pirelli license Corsa tyres Michelin license Kormoran

both IIRC

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Alt Beer ("Alt Beer" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If you're buying second-string tyres, choose them on their qualities, not who their big brother is.

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
SteveH

Pirelli's budget brand used to be Courier.

I had a pair on the front of an Escort. For about three weeks, after which I deemed them too dangerous to use.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Michelin also go under the brand name of Kleber as sold in Lookers Main Dealers. They are OK for grip in the rain and normal road use. They're not designed for racing with. I found they lasted quite a while.

Reply to
John

Interesting, my thinking was if second brand are from a major brand manufacturer they will be at least reasonable tyres. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Alt Beer

S'funny that cos I once had a set of actual Pirellis on a car that I deemed too dangerous to use. So little grip in damp or greasy conditions that I couldn't actually drive safely on normal roads.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Same here. Made in Brazil, mine were. I've never bought Pirellis again.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Armstrong (Made by Pirelli) BF Goodrich (Made by Michelin) Icollantes (Made by Michelin mostly for S Americas) Kléber (Made by Michelin) Metzeler (made by Pirelli) Taurus (made by Michelin) Uniroyal (Made by Michelin in USA)

Reply to
Lin Chung

I had some Cinturatos which shed chunks off the shoulder - right down to the carcass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had four of them on an Escort RS2000 back in '92. I thought they were ok..

Reply to
Pete M

Thanks to all who replied for the info.

Reply to
Alt Beer

Reply to
Fred

Uniroyal are made by Continental and IME are very good. I certainly prefer the Uniroyal Rallye tyres to the Continental Ecocontact range, but then the Contis are low rolling resistance s**te. The uniroyals have fantastic wet grip.

Reply to
Doki

Nor me.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I spun and crashed my Golf with Pirelli's on the back.

Reply to
adder1969

I'm on the third set of Ecocontacts on my E39 - including the originals. And I've got nothing whatsoever to complain about with them. Perhaps it's down to the DSC. but it grips like mad wet or dry. I had Uniroyals on the previous E34 and it didn't grip anything like as well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On further search, it turned out in fact both answers, from Doki and from me, were not the whole truth.

"Originally the tyre brand of Belgian manufacturer, Englebert, Uniroyal in Europe is now a mid range brand operated by Continental. (In North America, Uniroyal is a Michelin brand)....".

Now, if you don't mind teasing out the thread in a mess and becoming confounded in the process (Goodrich and Bridgestone had decided to join the party too at some stage), read the whole truth.....

Lin Chung