Tyre Names

The Marea has 'Roadstone Dark Horse' on the rear.

Still, at least they're a matched pair :-)

Reply to
SteveH

i'd be scared if i was you, on the old MR2 site someone described them as 'dark horse ditch finders' :)

Reply to
Vamp

oh dear

Michael Kent

Heh. I saw that, too.

Doesn't matter on the back of a FWD anyway.

It's got a decent pair of Michelins on the front where it counts. Not to mention the drilled discs and greenstuff pads, so it stops quite nicely, too.

Don't know how long I'll love the car for, probably until something serious goes wrong with it, but until then I'm going to have a laugh in it.

Reply to
SteveH

Isn't it too powerful and heavy for GreenStuff? Surely it should have Reds? You might find they cook, and fall apart quite quickly if used hard.

Reply to
DanTXD

That's be 2 weeks then. ; ) We should have a sweep.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Lassa Impetus on the Saab. fronts are getting a bit close, so I'll get them changed. One of the rears loses a bit over a week, but tread is like new on both rears, so I'll get it fixed properly (checked for a leak/punture then reseated and sealed and new valve if needed). If it has a puncture, I'll do all 4 with semi budgets. I don't push the convert to far, it wasn't made for that. So a cheap V rate should do it.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I agree with Dan but the Redstuffs on my TI didn't work _at all_ this morning as it was very, very cold indeed. I remedied this by driving along with my left foot on the middle pedal for about 100 yards.

Steve, I take it your Marea has the EBC Turbogroove disc and pad package like my TI then? I think they're good value for money when a Brembo+Ferodo setup will cost twice as much but not last twice as long or offer twice the performance. Having said that, you might be able to fit the Brembo setup from the 20v Turbo Plus Fiat Coupe quite easily...

Reply to
fishman

One minute past Midnight on the 28th Nov, through just before midnight on the

30th for me, then. Unless he drives it at night.
Reply to
Questions

I had those on something before, not a bad tyre at all

Reply to
Chet

They don't actually seem to be. They grip well, but wear seems to be pretty bad on the front of the Saab. The old Saab took 18months on a set of Avon ZV1s to get to the same state as a set of Lassas are in with less than 9 months on the this car.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

But you don't know how it was driven in those months before you bought it, they may have had a hard life.

Reply to
DanTXD

Greenstuffs suck. Short life and poor performance on all cars I've driven with them. Mates A8 has Redstuffs on Brembo solid discs and that stops in a most emphatic fashin...

If you're keeping the OE calipers I don't think you can get better value than Brembo solid discs and Ferodo pads - had that on my Volvo and they lasted longer than OE and the discs didn't warp like the previous three OE sets did...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

.

I know he drove it over the mountains to Monaco (showed me some photos=20 at the top of the passes near the road signs) after he rebuilt the=20 engine and had the box and turbo replaced. When he bought it 4 years ago=20 for near =A34k it had shagged mains, a knackered turbo, and a jumping=20 gearbox. He fixed all that, ran out of time and money anmd decided to=20 emigrate.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

I know he drove it over the mountains to Monaco (showed me some photos at the top of the passes near the road signs) after he rebuilt the engine and had the box and turbo replaced. When he bought it 4 years ago for near £4k it had shagged mains, a knackered turbo, and a jumping gearbox. He fixed all that, ran out of time and money anmd decided to emigrate.

Seems a bit extreme just to avoid fixing the car? :)

Reply to
DervMan

It may well be that there's a lot of weight at the front and heavy front brake bias...?

The Ka can be a bit like this. Well okay it's more that the rear tyres don't wear out at all for many drivers* whereas the front wears.

*not for me, I end up using the rear tyres every so often... :)
Reply to
DervMan

I sincerely hope I don't have to remind you of that comment if some numpty pulls out in front of you mid-way through a roundabout / bend / curve / funky twisty stuff and the back swaps ends with the front quicker than you can say "Ka."

Hmm. Fheavy front brake bias too? :)

That's the spirit!

Reply to
DervMan

There speaks a man who doesn't play with lift-off oversteer.

I can't remember what my Marea was like to drive, but it did fall into the "This is a 1.6? Really? Bloody hell" class of performance, as demonstrated by cops on the M4 ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Erm, no. Exactly the opposite, in fact.

Heh.

Reply to
SteveH

There is, yet the rears need more pressure than the fronts on original sizes. It would normally run 28 front/30 rear on original 195/60Vr15's although for fast work Saab recommend 30/34 on the 900 hatches. I'm on 205/50Vr16 Saab 9000 Aero deep dish rims. I can't find a recommended pressure for them on a convertibles, so I've been running them at 34 all round for now. Seems ok with no understeer. Although it is doing the usual Saab trick of wearing out the outside edge of each tyre.

BTW, front rims black with dust, rear wheels clean.

yep, rear like brand spanking new, and the last 900 was the same.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2