Service intervals for Rover 620Si

Hi,

We have recently acquired an old (1995) Rover 620Si, it seems to run OK but there are no servicing records or book.

Does anyone know what the recommended service interval is? I'm guessing it was probably an oil change every 6K and a major every 12K, I'm thinking that given the age (and cost) of the car just doing a major every 12K / 12 months and using decent oil will be fine.

The other question is cambelt replacement..... as there are no previous records we have no idea if and when it was last changed, any info on this? Is it likely to be expensive on these (Honda) engines?

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
s1mon.black

My '85 SD1 is 10,000 mile oil changes so I doubt they went backwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

they were 12k services (or each year regardless of mileage. ) they have two belts, one for balance shafts. change both every 5 years or 60k. They are tricky, but not evil to do yourself. look very carefully at the water pump, as that is a weak point, probably worth changing too unless it looks new. don't skimp on anti freeze as the rad is another weak point, clutch slave goes too.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

At this end of the market you have got to weigh up the odds of the cambelt gong against the cost of fitting one, bearing in mind the value of the car. I've bought many old cars around the £200-500 range and never bothered getting the cambelt replaced because its just not worth the cost on such a low value car. I'd rather spend on brakes or tyres and hope for the best. Currently my £200 Sierra is doing fine after 2½ years of trouble free motoring. Second Sierra I've had since 2001. Basic preventative maintenance like regular oil changes and driving it gently all help, but a good engine thrashing doesn't seem to do it any harm once in a while. In fact it improved mine as when I first got it, it used a pint of oil every 200 miles, but now I get 500 miles.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Thanks for the info, will check the water pump too. Oh and thanks for the tip on the clutch slave :-)

Reply to
s1mon.black

And handbrake adjusters on the rear calipers. There's a cover you can take off with a 10mm adjuster nut underneath.

Reply to
Conor

There's also the massive inconvenience of being stranded if it lets go. I'd always change the cambelt on anything I was unsure of the provenance of - it's not something you can fix at the side of the road.

Jesus Jones! I'd go absolutely ape if any car I had were using that much oil. I'd go ape if it were *leaking* that much oil. A pint every couple of months is enough...

Reply to
Doki