Renault Laguna Starting Problems

Hi all

Been having this problem on and off for the past year but becoming so frequent now almost everytime I try and start the car... its a 1999

1.6 Sport (Petrol)

Basically when I go to start the car the engine turns over with no problems but just will not catch. After 3 or 4 attempts it usually fires up but only by cranking the engine for a long time and pumping the accelerator. At first i blamed a 'sticky' immobiliser stopping the fuel getting in, but locking and unlocking the car repeatedly (and using both keys) has no effect, plus my immobilser light turns off.

Dont think its a starter motor prob with not quite enough crank as will turn it over quite happily at others times, and even after cranking for a while will happily fire it up.

Battery fully charged, and makes no difference whether its hot/cold/ wet or dry. Think I may have covered everything, but any info needed will try my best!

Loathe to take it to a garage as it 1st did this when I had just bought it, and =A3100 later was told there was no fault and i was just forgetting to lock & unlock it, or 'not turning the key correctly' hmmmm.

Problem is now getting worse and worse and after being stranded at Tesco's for 2 hours I've had enough!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Reply to
red26

long distance guess would be a crank sensor or just a loose wire to it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Hi,

Did you manage to fix this problem ? I am also having the same problem and my car is also exactly the same model (1999 Laguna 1.6 RT Sport Petrol). I am having this car for 2.5 years now and this problem just started before 2 months. Sometimes, it starts in the first attempt and sometimes, i will have to wait for 10 minutes. Maximum was 15 minutes until today. I just had a full service and MOT done. Mechanic said that everything is perfect and there is no problem. He asked me come again for diagnostic test if the problem persists after the full service. Unfortunately, the problem is not solved yet. I am thinking of what needs to be done further like you whether to take it for a diagnostic test or to live with this problem.

If anyone had the same problem and got it fixed, please let me know.

Thanks.

Reply to
PILO