Shinny new black car - how to clean?

OK, i've done something really daft and gone an bought myself a shinny new black car, and everyone i've spoken to says that they are hard to clean as water droplets dry out into nice little round marks. So does anyone have any advice on cleaning/polishing a shinny new black car?

Dave

Reply to
Dave {ð¿ð}

Get the wife to do it.........Thought I recognised the name!!!

Reply to
Matt

No matter what you do, it'll look dirty again within a very short period. Plus the slightest of scratches will stick out like a sore thumb.

Only way to keep it semi decent looking is regular waxing.

Reply to
moray

LOL. You get around a bit. You have got to be kidding she won't clean it, as it mans work! or so she informs me.

Reply to
Dave {ð¿ð}

Good job i've got a nice big bottle of 'Turtle Wax'.

Reply to
Dave {ð¿ð}

Proper wax, not that s**te you add to water.

Reply to
Conor

Conor wrote in news:MPG.205e6bdfb32679e098a196 @news.karoo.co.uk:

And try to find a wax that doesn't leave a white residue, it will make you insane.

Reply to
Tunku

Proper 'Turtle Wax' you rub on and then polish off.

Reply to
Dave {ð¿ð}

Not many of them around.

Reply to
Dave {ð¿ð}

Good idea. I will keep my eyes open for one.

Reply to
Dave {ð¿ð}

I was told to use a couple of soft tea towels and wash them after each use.

Reply to
Matt

"Dave {ð¿ð}" wrote in news:A7_Ih.3117$DX5.2068 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Get youself a mitt for washing it with. Sponges are supposed to be bad because the surface is too solid and this causes some of the dirt to get rubbed into the paint, creating swirl marks over the years. Mitts are supposed to trap dirt in the pile until you rinse it off in the bucket.

I've always used a sponge for years, but I had light coloured cars most of the time. I only got a mitt recently so I don't know if they really help or not, but swirl marks stand out quite badly on black paint, so if I were in your position (i.e. having bought a brand new black car with unspoilt paint), I'd certainly spend a few quid more and get one.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

"Dave {ð¿ð}" wrote in news:ei%Ih.3204$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Plenty to choose from at Halfords.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

"Matt" wrote in news:sr%Ih.100489$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Yes, I expect that does the same job. Preferably the 'terry-towelling' ones :-)

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Dry it off with a chamios, don't let the water dry on the paint as the spots you see are whatever is in the water being left behind after drying, so use a chamios and wring it out frequently. If it is REAL chamois don't wring it but the synthetic ones, yes, just wring it out.

Reply to
FOG

Don't. Find a good hand car wash to do it for you - mine is owned by a guy with a black touareg - when I took my car through last time they even popped out with some chrome cleaner for the grille and badge. It's always leathered off nicely and they clean the door seals and metal inside the doors too - all for six quid.

Seems to stay clean for a couple of weeks - about a thousand or more miles - birds permitting.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Carefully. Sponge or mitt + bucket of water, then rinse and chamois. Wax it with some proper wax - meguairs do some for black cars IIRC.

Reply to
Doki

Get yourself one of those Flash car wash systems. Wife has a diamond metallic black golf and that comes up fantastic once dry. Wash with the gun and the flash shampoo, rinse, turn the gun to AUTODRY and cover the car in the filtered water. That's it....once dry the car is spotless, no waters stains anywhere. Plus, you can pretend you're Buck Rogers at the same time!!! :-)

Reply to
diy-newby

Got a real chamois, just need to find it.

Reply to
Dave {ð¿ð}

I like the sound of that :-)

Reply to