Re: rx 300 replacement key

>> hello >> >> just purchased a used lexus and only has one key. the key that i have >> does not lock the glove box. so as far as i have been told this is a >> sub key. i would like to make a spare key and i gathered that i can't >> cause it is not the master key. any help on this one???? i was told i >> would have to change the computer at a price of $1500.00 if i lost the >> key. so my question is how close to the ignition does this key have to >> be in order for the car to start?? i was thinking i could get a key >> just laser cut and not programed and hide the subkey next to the >> ignition would that work??? try to fool the system? will this work?? >> hummm >> >> >> thanks >> >> brian >> > I have had to replace one of these when the key came apart in my wife's > purse. A new key will cost you about $200.00 and that does not include > programming. We were also told by Lexus that if we lost the masterkey, you > would have to replace the computer. We traded for a Pilot. Honda > apparently does not have the same problem with replacement keys and can > reprogram the computer on the vehicle for a very nominal charge, > >
Reply to
Lwags

I just had to replace a lost key and I asked what they would have to do if all master keys were lost. They said that it is no longer necessary to replace the computer, that they can now reprogram it. Still costs about $500 but I think that included a key as well.

Reply to
rg

1) that is good news 2) make a backup of your Master key to avoid this trouble. You should have two.
Reply to
Beezer