Door open indicator 1997 Escort TD estate

The above indicator now stays on permanently although doors are shut, I've taken the door switches off but can't see anything wrong. Both front doors operate the courtesy light as normal I assume that this idicates the switches are ok. The bonnet switch appears to work ok (don't know if this lights the indicator). I've cleaned the tailgate contacts - again I don't know if this will appear on the door indicator. I don't have the manual but have checked on somebody else's 97R escort saloon manual and can't see anything else to check.

When the passenger door is slammed 'Hard' the light goes out momentarily.

My only thought is that the indicator light works with some electronics and a very small leakage current is keeping this on but not enough to light the courtesy light, this seems feasible since the door switches appear to connect to the earth (car body) when the door is open, so some kind of short near the passenger door producing this small leakage current which is affect by the slamming of the door. This is pure speculation any thoughts from you experts

TIA Nik

Reply to
NikV

IIRC there is a switch for this in the doorlock, it is not switched by the courtesy light.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

momentarily.

Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you I have been P******* about with this for months I've just rotated the door lock and held it in against the spring with a screwdriver and lo and behold the light goes out!!!!! Now any idea what is wrong, is it just a case of loosening bolts (torx) and shifting the lock??

Tia Nik

Reply to
NikV

electronics

Well the first thing must be a good spraying with wd40 or similar. I don't think there is any deliberate adjustment, so you'll probably need to take it off and look. IIRC the plunger thing for the switch is a seperate clip on thing, so you can possibly get it on its own.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I've never really been happy with this 'Spray it with WD40 and it'll be OK' attitude. WD40 is simply a mixture of mostly white spirit with about 20% mineral oil, which you could probably make up youself at a tenth of the price. It's maybe OK as a quick fix for freeing rusty hinges, tools etc, but not really for electrics. Would you be prepared to spray the inside of your TV with this stuff? Get a dedicated switch cleaner instead. Having said all that, I do have a can in my garage :-)

Terry D.

Terrt D.

Reply to
Terry D

the door pin switch thing is in the door lock itself when it latches it closes the clip and the light goes off you need to get the door card off pull the lock out change the switch it's simple enough but a lot of messing about when you pop the switch you need to make sure that you don't break the little prongs, it only comes out one way and the new one you are going to put in will have a sprung prong on it and a fixed one lever out on the sprung prong side

Reply to
dojj

Cheers I've had a go at removing the door catch mechanism but I get stuck with a small plastic link which will not pass over the shaft that its mounted on - links the door catch mechanism - I will have another go tomorrow

Thanx Nik

momentarily.

Reply to
NikV

that is the actual alarm module which detects that the key has turned the barrel

it's locked on the top/bottom and just pops open on a little hinge make sure that you reinstall it correctly when you put it back together again otherwise the alarm might not work

electronics

Reply to
dojj