silicon grease or silicon sealent from a d-i-y store ?

A radiator hose that comes from the radiator to the engine block has a very slow seepage, where it joins the engine block.

I was thinking of coating the inside of the rubber hose at the connection point with some high melting silicon grease. (which should also make it easier to remove again if i ever wish to)?

On a recent post I saw someone suggesting ' silicon sealent' from an d-i-y store. I guess this would be better than silicon grease do you think? But would the sealent make it difficult to get off at sometime in the future or would the seal break easily?

Reply to
john royce

the usual reason for a leak as you describe is corrosion on the stub that sticks out, cleanup and a new hose clip should fix it, it would be very unusual to use any form of sealant on a hose connection.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

IMX the use of silicone grease - or any type of lubricant - causes rubber to 'squirm' rather than grip the pipe when a tightening force is applied.

I tried silicone grease once and the result was the hose blew off when the engine got up to temperature and pressure developed in the system. (yes, it was done up tight)

As I'm sure you are aware, rubber hoses are normally fitted without the application of any lubricant and they normally stick/bond to the metal but this is 'a good thing' as it prevents them leaking or blowing off. Could your leak be due to some corrosion of the metal pipe that really needs rectification?

Roger R

Reply to
Roger R

Not really no, it's not even vaguely designed for it.

Yes & yes. It's not designed to work under pressure or heat. If it's leaking then either the hose is damaged, in which case you need a new hose anyway, the end of the fitting is damaged or corroded, in which case it neads cleaning &/or making good with metal putty or the clip wasn't done up properly in the 1st place, fit a new clip.

Reply to
Duncan Wood