Silver paint

I've now tried the Plasti-kote (but the weather has not been good for spraying). I've had the following results. The finish, while reasonable, turned out to be soft. So soft, in fact, that I got a black mark on my finger when I ran it over the paint.

Plasti-kote tells me that I need their lacquer over the top, but even then it won't be weather resistant. I want it for a car and they say it's not likely to be suitable. They couldn't say why the finish was soft, because apparently it shouldn't have been.

But as I said, the weather has not been good for spraying.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Thanks to all who offered advice on this topic recently. I can now give you the following feedback.

Plastikote is not made for exterior finishes. Certainly not on cars. It didn't say this on the tin and I took it back for a refund. Also, it doesn't like being smeared with a finger. It sort of comes off.

Humbrol still make paints. I've tried a couple of metallic finishes. These seem quite good, but nowhere near a chrome finish. One of them is aluminium and needs polishing after ten days. I haven't done this yet.

There is a product known as chrome foil which you stick on. It's meant for modellers but looks quite reasonable.

None of these is as good as chrome though.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Indeed. If chrome paints were available and practical manufacturers would have been using them years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only if they where cheaper than Chrome plating things.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I foolishly did a scratch card while leaning on my steering wheel ages ago. The silver 'dust' from it sat on the wheel, so I rubbed it off instead of blew it. Still got a small lightly silver coated bit on there now :-/

Reply to
PCPaul

Not in bulk.

Reply to