Skoda Felicia engine fan overworking

I have a 1996 Skoda Felicia 1.6 (VW engine). Lately the fan seems to be overworking. There doesen't seem to be a ride, even in mild weather, in which it doesen't start working. Especially while running idle at a traffic light. The thermostat in the dashboard seems to be broken, it barely rises at all. So I don't know if the car is really heating that much. I also have a constant loss of water from the radiator at about the rate of 1 litre in 6 months (maybe I'm exaggerating a bit).

I asked my mechanic if it wasn't necessary to clean the radiator, but he claims those radiators never block. He says I shouldn't worry about the fan, they make a lot of noise on this car because of their design but otherwise I should just let it work. I'm also puzzled about the water loss, because according to the car manual this shouldn't happen. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
RCSB

Get the coolant leak/loss fixed, get the thermostat/temp sensor fixed, then get the operating temperature of the fan checked and if necessary the switch replaced.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful