Slightly OT. Insurance success.

A day after I repaired the leaking diesel seal in my wife's 106 someone ran into the back of it whilst she was waiting at a roundabout. The cost of straightening it out would have been about £560 ish and as the car is somewhat (oh, ok then very) scruffy and is 13 years old we thought Direct Line might write it off. Anyway, after chatting to/up the engineer who examined the car she was told they would value it at £600. Bargain, considering we paid £700 for it 3 years ago. Yesterday a cheque for £600 plopped through the letterbox and today the car was removed.

Reply to
malc

Good news. A similar thing happened to me with my 1988 mini City E. I bought it for =A3600 in 2000 with a good engine but some rather rusty panels. Drove it for a year and then got hit by a car pulling out into my left wing. Badly damaged the wind and the door so the car was a write off. The insurance company (Norwich Union) gave valued the car at =A3595 (spooky) and gave me the car back minus scrap value of =A320.

Unfortunately I advertised it for 2 weeks as a "for spares" car for "offers" with no success. The the day after I let someone have it for free just to get it off my drive (and into a banger racing field) I got a call from a mini enthusiast who offered me =A350 for it. Bummer. I had advertised in the mini groups etc but no luck until then!

Reply to
loony

The "success" in both of these is that they were both low value third party (i.e from the other driver's insurer) claims.

Reply to
adder1969

Maybe but in my case I was thinking that I had got more than I anticipated the car would fetch.

--=20 Mal;c

Reply to
Most Noble and Honourable the Malcolm of Giggleswick under T