Slightly OT - Motoring Myths

Whoosh?

More haste less speed?

Reply to
Malc

Except that you can't travel 120mph anywhere on public roads in the UK. Besides, you're usually held up in traffic anyway. Time saved is marginal and is offset by mechanical wear, tyre wear, fuel cost and extra stress.

Reply to
Johannes

After filling up with fuel, if I raise the drooping section of the hose I will get lots more fuel out.

When I flash my lights, it means you can proceed towards me.

Reply to
NT

9) but beauty lives forever
Reply to
neutron

I tend to do that. It's and old habit...

I hate that, I'll make my own decision when the road is clear...

Reply to
Johannes

"When the oil lamp lights up, then you should change the oil".

Reply to
Johannes

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@smash-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, you can. I have done on many occasions.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Johannes contains these words:

It's the ones who get really really agitated that piss me off.

Oh, and drivers who stop on otherwise clear roads to allow kids to cross. There's me trying to teach my kids how to cross the road safely and some wanker comes along and waits, flashing his/her lights and gesturing like a maniac.

Several kids have been killed on busy roads by one car stopping, another car passing them and wiping out the kids who were enticed into crossing.

Reply to
Guy King

Who said anything about the UK?

Reply to
Depresion

Another good myth.

Reply to
Depresion

Oi, pedant! See that little black dot over in the distance? Thats the point, that is.

Reply to
James Dore

"A full dealer history means the car is in good condition" "A warranty gives you peace of mind"

Reply to
TTT

I think suggesting there was a point to Johannes' post is giving him rather more credit than it deserves, pop onto an autobahn and give it a go, it's easy to save quite a few hours travelling at 120+ over travelling at the uk speed limit.

Reply to
Depresion

============= "I couldn't survive without a car..."

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You've been watching:

Depresion

Granted, but given this /is/ UK.rec.car.maintenance, and we don't have Autobahnen here, he was making a valid point IMHO.

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

New tyres should go on the front on a FWD car.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@smash-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do the laws of physics change from country to country?

Hmmm. Personally, I never count on "other traffic expecting" *anything*.

Reply to
Adrian

In article , RichardK writes

"I'm driving at the correct speed for the middle lane so I'm ok, despite the nearside lane being devoid of traffic"

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

(Motoring Myth)

Women Drivers.