snow chains

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 22:46:04 +0000, Andrew stammered:

We are not talking about stationary..

Reply to
Mike P

No, it most certainly does not. If you want to verify this for yourself, get your car moving very slowly in first gear then take your feet completely off the pedals. It will "idle" in gear, crawling forward at ~4mph. I'm struggling to fathom how anyone who drives a car would not know this...

Neither am I necessarily. I was illustrating a point. See above, or the rest of my previous post that you conveniently edited out, for a non-stationary example. The car doesn't care* whether you're stationary or moving (in gear), it will still idle the engine. Without fuel it would stall.

  • actually with some engine management systems it does make a slight difference. My diesel, for example, has 2 idle speeds. When stationary, it gradually drops the idle speed by an extra couple hundred rpm to save fuel. When in motion (with or without clutch depressed, in gear or out of gear) it idles faster.
Reply to
Andrew

even if they are still turning, but not at road speed then the effect is identical to being locked: no grip.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That surprised me when I came across it on a vectra diesel, I was in heavy traffic and eased the clutch up on idle, the car accellerated for itself! As you say the idle increases as soon as the car is rolling slightly.

Some cars do cut the fuel completely on the over-run and bring it back in at a low speed.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Especially petrol ones; even the last of the cars with carbs did this, by means of a little non-return valve in the bottom of the float chamber.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's not peculiar to diesels or even Vauxhalls in general. I'd wager any modern car is capable of this. Even my old carburettor cars supplied enough fuel at idle to run the car in gear, although you had to be very gentle engaging the clutch. It does work much better with modern cars with fuel injection & electronic engine management and of course more torquey engines.

No diesels do this, the reason being that the engine breaking effect on a high compression engine when there is no fuelling is immense. As an experiment, I compared decelerating my car from 40mph to 20mph in 4th gear, first just by taking my foot off the accelerator (which took 22 seconds) and second by turning off the engine (which took less than 5 seconds). Actually I'm pretty confident no modern engine management systems (petrol or diesel) ever *completely* cut the fuel, as it makes for very unpleasant deceleration and risk of stalling.

Reply to
Andrew

The level of grip when your wheels are losing traction, but still turning, is greater than if you're wheels are actually locked. There is a loss of traction but it can't ever be described as no grip whatsoever as there will always be some resistive force between your tyres and the ground, unless your car is somehow magically floating on air.

Reply to
Andrew

All old diesels pre electronic control did it, there's no throttle so you get less engine braking on lift off, quite a few small engines have a throttle plate that closes at the last minute to give some braking, it's less common nowadays in order to avoid failing the emissions requirements when it starts fuelling again.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Which also applys when they're locked. But it's still sod all.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Remember we are talking about descending a slippery hill.

I live on an estate that has a short but steep drop onto a roundabout. It never used to get salted, so when conditions were very icy, cars used to regularly slide down the hill and hit the roundabout. I always managed to get down, but when driving rear wheel drive vehicles, if I lifted off completely, the rear would fish-tail enough that I would also have crashed.

The key was to use just a whiff of throttle in 1st gear; this would allow me to successfully get to the bottom every time.

The fact that there is always *some* grip is irrelevant; what matters is if there is enough grip to retain control.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

a diesel without any throttle restriction and no fuel is just a compressor and it will give massive engine braking compared to a petrol since its compression ratio is so high (compared to petrol)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The point is that many petrol cars reduce fuelling on the over-run to the degree that there is sufficient effect on the driven wheels to cause loss of control. I've had this happen many times with a whole range of two and four wheeled vehicles over more years than I care to remember.

Don't know about all diesels, but my son's Transit would most definitely do it very easily when being driven unloaded.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

Indeed, but it can be a significant factor when trying to stop!

Under some circumstances it may be better to use a higher gear when going down a slippery hill, particularly in a rear wheel drive vehicle.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's essentially a lossy air spring, unlike a compressor it doesn't let the compressed air out at peak pressure.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

try turning one over by hand and you will get an idea of how and why diesels have so much engine braking.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If one has to slow down, one has no choice but to slow down. If the grip is so bad that engine idle overcomes it - say you have built up speed on a good surface and entered a low grip region - you have much bigger things to worry about. But if you're only doing 6mph to start with, a sudden lift in 1st doesn't cause a big slippage and the car will not spin.

If the application of the brake is so light, allowing the engine to prevent full lock up may be better - and it doesn't cog like ABS.

Reply to
dr6092

Yes it does.

At that particular moment the engine is being fueled. Take your foot off the accelerator when you are moving and there will be no fuel being injected until the engine is at close to idle.

Nope, you simply don't understand how a modern EMS works.

[snip waffle]
Reply to
Steve Firth

Actually, I do. On my diesel, at no point is the fuel ever completely cut off when you lift off the accelerator while in motion.

Reply to
Andrew

I don't know what you drive, but I can only assume it's an ancient piece of shit if it isn't cutting the fuel when you lift off whilst in gear and moving.

Reply to
SteveH

No you don't.

Then "your" diesel is an antique.