Speed

The new Bentley will do 209 MPH.

Why the f*ck allow something like this on the road?

Graham T

My Maserati does one ninety five I lost my license now I don't drive

I *thought* the motorcycle manufacturers voluntarily agreed a limit.

It is an interesting philosophical point whether road vehicle regulations should include performance limits. Debate.

Reply to
newshound

Because cars only capable of the legal limit would be fecking boring to drive.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

2CV owners would probably disagree - there's a lot more fun driving a slow car as fast as it can go than driving a fast car slowly.

A car easily capable of the legal limit but limited would be dull though.

Reply to
Clive George

I guess that may depend on what you are driving? About the only time I drove just for the fun of it was when I passed my car test at age 19. Before that I was buzzing about on mopeds, scooters and motorbikes so already had the 'fun' thing covered. ;-)

Fun for me is being able to load my chosen vehicle up with all I need to transport and get to the other end efficiently and safely.

Again and depending on where you live [1], all I ever seem to do is go from the back of one gaggle of cars to the next (I'm rarely at the front of such, no matter what car I'm driving). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Whenever I've driven 'sports' / 'performance' cars (the last being an SL63 AMG), the novelty wore off after about 10 miles and I was glad to take it back.

[1] I am a member of the BMW motorcycle club and in the monthly magazine they have 'Section news' where the section leader writes up what they did the previous month. The London section probably has the greatest number of members yet some months there is no section news at all (and possibly the only section to do so). And it's not like things like 'ride outs' aren't available, but the organisers of the runouts have sometimes been the only people to turn up, waiting half an hour before going back home. ;-(

It is my theory that if you live and ride in London you probably do so (ride) because you have to so after commuting for a week the last thing you want to do is to go out for a 'ride'?

Reply to
T i m

On one of our family motorcycle camping holidays around the UK we ended up at Lands End. On a board were photographs of various 'End to Enders' and the happiest looking bunch by far were a group of guys who all did it on Honda 50's. ;-)

Not being allowed on motorways and a top speed of about 50 mph meant they probably stuck to the A/B roads and I can see how much of a hoot it might have been. Plus you see a lot more (interesting) things when you aren't doing 70 mph along a concrete gully. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Having driven a 2CV and Renault 4 for some years AND a car with a lot more power, I know which I find more fun.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Joe Walsh 'Life's Been Good'

Vidcapper

Which limit would apply in such a theoretical case? UK, France, the Netherlands, Germany?

Reply to
Ramsman

German manufacturers have a 'gentleman's agreement' to limit cars to 155mph, and Japan a compulsory 112mph limit.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes, and ... ?

The argument is that they would be safer.

Do you see driving as a form of entertainment?

Reply to
Norman Wells

Why not? It is unlikely that many people will ever get anywhere near that speed, but it makes for good advertising copy.

Reply to
Nightjar

Why is any car sold in the UK that does more than a genuine 70 mph? Same reasoning.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. But the vehicle I used to drive everywhere foot to the floor was a MiniVan. Fun at the time. The time being all I could afford.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

An argument which suggests having a speed limit of 5 mph with a man walking in front with a flag would be safer too.

If it is something not boring there is more chance you'll concentrate on it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.

Nissan 200SX

'90 manual "Exec" bought May 1999 80K miles £3K scrapped in 2010 180K miles. Returned all donations + stripped down to bare shell. '89 auto Donor, bought June 2000 £150 with "cam rattle" = big ends, needed 2L of water to "top up". Jun '93 manual (M Reg June 94) bought Oct 2006 £1.4K c90K miles, now on

178K, gets redlined daily. Had to remove the lowering springs they were utterly awful, I drive over 10 speed cushions each way each day. Dec '93 auto (M Reg Dec 94), 20th before last one to be built to UK spec. Bought Mar 2008 £1.4K c80K miles now on 126K. I've got all the manual bits from '90 Exec but just haven't got a round tuit yet (Used to be able get these from Stoke).

Now very boring since replacing the ditchfinder P6000 with Firestone TZ300.

Practical, the hatch will take a gents racing bike without disassembly. When my Nieces and Nephew were teens it would take 2+3 with a lap belt from a Sunny (best bit).

Last week I was accosted by a woman as I walked away from the daily. She told me she was just admiring my car. I've also had notes under the wiper asking me to sell it.

uk.legal x-post forbidden by aioe

Reply to
Peter Hill

As it undoubtedly would be. But it's a trade off between that and getting from place to place efficiently.

Possibly, but on thrill seeking not safety.

It's not at all boring driving round residential streets at 70mph. On your argument the drivers who do it would be concentrating harder on it. They still wrap themselves around lampposts though.

When people are limited to the applicable speed limit anyway, how does being in a car capable of more than that relieve any boredom? Surely that's a result of the speed limit itself.

Reply to
Norman Wells

70 mph was chosen as the top speed in the UK when things were very very different.

You have residential streets with a 70 mph speed limit?

If they don't know the speed limit they're hardly concentrating. And driving much faster than is safe isn't concentrating either.

If you don't know the difference between driving a boring to drive car and a interesting one, I'm not likely to be able to explain it to you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I was younger I had a prejudice against sports car drivers thinking they would be dangerous fast and furious types. But after a lifetime of cycling I revised my thinking and now put them amongst the most courteous and careful drivers.

It's the people who drive normal Mercs, BMWs, and Ranger Rover types that seem to be the most dangerous and anti social thugs.

Reply to
Nick

Just to annoy you?

Reply to