Speed humps On large Roundabouts ?

Not talking about mini roundabouts here.

Roundabouts need speed humps. Many time I have been ready to join a roundabout when suddenly a vehicle at speed comes around from the right. If all traffic on the roundabout moved at a reduced pace, then more people wou= ld be able to safely join. The queues at the junctions would flow more freely = as there would be less need to hesitate(or join at break neck speed) as the speed of traffic from the right would be restricted.=20 I'm not a thrilled about speed humps,cameras being everywhere but positive measures to restrict speed on a roundabout has got to be a good idea ? Less congestion and less risk of accident.

Looking into road traffic simulation modelling to test out the idea.

Reply to
A.Melon

Yes, that right - speed humps. They're great. All roads should have them.

FFS - we spent 3000 years developing road surfaces, culminating in our current highly developed smooth, grippy and safe tarmac. Then geniuses such as yourself go round putting speed humps on them. Great.

Reply to
Grunff

Roundabouts need speed humps. Many time I have been ready to join a roundabout when suddenly a vehicle at speed comes around from the right. If all traffic on the roundabout moved at a reduced pace, then more people would be able to safely join. The queues at the junctions would flow more freely as there would be less need to hesitate(or join at break neck speed) as the speed of traffic from the right would be restricted. I'm not a thrilled about speed humps,cameras being everywhere but positive measures to restrict speed on a roundabout has got to be a good idea ? Less congestion and less risk of accident.

Looking into road traffic simulation modelling to test out the idea.

Reply to
NewsGroups

That's a terrible idea. When going round a roundabout i'd like to be able to concentrate on finding my exit and looking around before changing lanes. I don't want to be bouncing all over the place.

Reply to
Dan Ros

I've never seen a speed hump on a bend, so I assume it would be extremely dangerous for a vehicle hit one while cornering.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

Can we assume this is a wind up?

Roundabouts need speed humps. Many time I have been ready to join a roundabout when suddenly a vehicle at speed comes around from the right. If all traffic on the roundabout moved at a reduced pace, then more people would be able to safely join. The queues at the junctions would flow more freely as there would be less need to hesitate(or join at break neck speed) as the speed of traffic from the right would be restricted. I'm not a thrilled about speed humps,cameras being everywhere but positive measures to restrict speed on a roundabout has got to be a good idea ? Less congestion and less risk of accident.

Looking into road traffic simulation modelling to test out the idea.

Reply to
manoman

Write to Tony Blair. He'll get it done for you.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Roundabouts need speed humps. Many time I have been ready to join a roundabout when suddenly a vehicle at speed comes around from the right. If all traffic on the roundabout moved at a reduced pace, then more people would be able to safely join. The queues at the junctions would flow more freely as there would be less need to hesitate(or join at break neck speed) as the speed of traffic from the right would be restricted. I'm not a thrilled about speed humps,cameras being everywhere but positive measures to restrict speed on a roundabout has got to be a good idea ? Less congestion and less risk of accident.

Looking into road traffic simulation modelling to test out the idea.

while the idea of slowing traffic on roundabouts is not as flawed as it at first seems... putting speed bumps on a roundabout is madness...

what we need is the roundabouts cleared n lowered so we can see over them, we also need less crash barriers running right up to them..

then just as your entering a roundabout a small series of rumble strips to stop lorry drivers hitting them in fog..

theres probably several faults with my ideas.. but they are MUCH better and safer than speed bumps ON a roundabout

Mark

Reply to
Lostin1999

All big roundabouts should be turned into epicyclic roundabouts, as seen in hemel hempstead and swindon ;-)

Reply to
Dan Ros

First of all please don't top post.

As for the subject I would think it is a wind up but the problem is real -- actually worse on the larger mini roundabouts, some drivers can't work out that rounabouts only work it driver cooperate with each. Take the sitiuation on a road near me it is basically a main road joined by a busy narrow road to form a T junction with a offset mini roundabout. Driver "A"is perfectly within his rights on the main road turning right on to the narrower road (made possible by car "B" going straight ahead in the opposite direction), Driver "C" is behind car "B" and also wants to go straight ahead in the opposite direction quite correctly slows/stops to allow Driver "A" to turn round the roundabout. Enter driver "D" approaching the roundabout at high speed on narrower road to turn right, the villan of the piece he decides that because Driver "C" is slowing/stoping he can charge out on to the roundabout-only to find the vehicle driven by driver "A" his path.

Reply to
AWM

A.Melon waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Hmm, A Melon.... why do I sense a wind up?

why not do the ultimate in traffic calming measures?

Line the roads with Gatso cameras, each one set at exactly 3 mph (1 mph in London) . That way it'd be really very simple to ban everybody everywhere from going anywhere and doing anything. Then tax them for staying at home. Then put pedestrian cameras on every pavement which take pictures of you if you move, then give you 3 points for "Undue motion". Once you get to 12 points, you get carted off, burnt at the stake and recycled as firelighters.

Eventually, the only people allowed out of their homes will be Traffic safety campaigners (someone has to reload the cameras). And they're the

*last* people that should be in charge of the nation.
Reply to
Pete M

why not go the whole hog and put speed camera's on roundabout? that way you can all go round at a sedate pace :)

Roundabouts need speed humps. Many time I have been ready to join a roundabout when suddenly a vehicle at speed comes around from the right. If all traffic on the roundabout moved at a reduced pace, then more people would be able to safely join. The queues at the junctions would flow more freely as there would be less need to hesitate(or join at break neck speed) as the speed of traffic from the right would be restricted. I'm not a thrilled about speed humps,cameras being everywhere but positive measures to restrict speed on a roundabout has got to be a good idea ? Less congestion and less risk of accident.

Looking into road traffic simulation modelling to test out the idea.

Reply to
dojj

Don,t worry about speed bumps on roundabouts those lovely people at the ministry of transport have already put Traffic lights on most them so that completely stops an traffic dead weather you have the right of way on not....(Even at 1.00am when you are the only one they)

Reply to
Jay

So you drive a gutless turbo diesel then??? You pull away onto the roundabout and don't receive maximum torque from your engine until you have travelled 2 car lengths??? (Turbo lag).

Tip: Hold throttle on the floor to attain maximum revs. When ready, dump the clutch ... the spinning inertia of the crankshaft should be enough to propel you forwards with the same 0-10mph acceleration as a london taxi.

-- Regards SDD

Warning: Email reply address is a spamtrap, remove teeth to reply directly !!!!

Roundabouts need speed humps. Many time I have been ready to join a roundabout when suddenly a vehicle at speed comes around from the right. If all traffic on the roundabout moved at a reduced pace, then more people would be able to safely join. The queues at the junctions would flow more freely as there would be less need to hesitate(or join at break neck speed) as the speed of traffic from the right would be restricted. I'm not a thrilled about speed humps,cameras being everywhere but positive measures to restrict speed on a roundabout has got to be a good idea ? Less congestion and less risk of accident.

Looking into road traffic simulation modelling to test out the idea.

Reply to
Ahgowonwidya

Many speed bumps are 5 feet wide. Peugoet 106 wheels catch both sides. Rangerover wheels don't. Several years ago a car program demonstrated the braking distance of several cars, including the above. (I think it was fifth gear??)

The pug stopped in a substantially shorter distance than the rangerover.

Speed bumps do not slow the vehicles which have a longer stopping distance. (Usually the wider heavier ones).

Speed bumps are therefore a load of bo**ocks.

Unless you have full width ones!!!

-- Regards SDD

Warning: Email reply address is a spamtrap, remove teeth to reply directly !!!!

Reply to
Ahgowonwidya

I reckon that the biggest problem come from those roundabouts that have entry roads that join at an acute angle - almost like slip roads. These permit joining speeds and thus circulatory speeds that are far too high to allow vehicles joining further around to emerge safely. It looks clear, you go to move out and some d*****ad suddenly appears screaming around, almost on two wheels.

I have noticed that some of the roundabouts in Milton Keynes where I drive a minibus for work now have the original kerb built out so that you have to turn left much more on joining thus slowing you down. It also gives much better visibility as you only need to look right - not backwards and "through" the door pillar to see if it is safe to emerge.

Getting rid of the bloody trees on top might help too.

Reply to
gribblechips

i've noticed that a lot of big roundabouts (junction 9 on the M25) have fences that mean you can't see if the roundabout is clear or not so you have to stop before you join thats not a good idea imho and these magic roundabouts (swindon, hemel hempstead, hatton cross) are great if you can tell everyone that you can't turn right from the elft hand lane, but absolutly bollocks for stopping people from cutting you up left right and centre at least i went round there with a bus and made sure that little plonker in his hire car used up the green part of the roundabout whenever s/h/it wanted to cut me up :)

Reply to
dojj

In message , A. Melon writes

I know exactly what you are saying and to be honest I'm sometimes guilty of entering roundabouts too fast in the manner you describe.

Another thing some drivers are not aware of is that you only have to give way to vehicles already on the roundabout and not to vehicles not yet on it but approaching it at high speed.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

snip

I have to say that a lot of this problem, not just on roundabouts, is caused by the Governments monomaniacal concentration on speed. There seems to be an increasing proportion of drivers who have discovered that they can do absolutely anything they please on the road so long as they do it slowly. Unfortunately these seem unable to cope with higher (legal/safe) speeds. This is increasingly noticable at slip roads and even ordinary side roads as well as roundabouts - these drivers just crawl out in front of oncoming traffic and let the others do the dodging. Then of course there are the opposites, who won't join a traffic stream unless it stops completely for them. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Especially a motorcycle!!!!!!

Reply to