Cheat the average speed cameras by changing lanes???

According to "Honest John" in the Motoring section of Saturday's Telegraph, the makers of the Specs cameras used to monitor average speeds have admitted that their cameras can't check the speed of people who change lanes between one bank of cameras and the next.

Anyone?

Reply to
Art

Great, as if the wrong lane retards and last minute bastards aren't bad enough already.

Runnarahnd nah!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

What exactly is a "last minute bastard"? Someone who changes lanes at the last minute?

Reply to
Art

This was briefly touched on five months ago here.

Basically, it says that currently the 'narrow (view) band' speed cameras are now being replaced by the new 'broadband' cameras (these are four lens cameras -- not one or even two training only on the faster lanes) scanning all four lanes simultaneously, so changing lanes between the two sets of cameras doesn't make any difference.

Reply to
Lin Chung

The message from Art contains these words:

I imagine he gets cross with drivers who leave selecting the right lane for a junction until the last moment, forcing a gap in a stream of traffic they should have joined a minute ago, often slowing suddently in the lane they're leaving causing mayhem and annoyance to other drivers. Worst place I know of for this is where the incoming M40 joins the M25 - plenty of warning, lots of time to get in lane, then at the last moment some get runs up the outside of the queue and stops in a lane which was up till then going along nicely so he can push in.

As it happens you can usually spot such idiots and be prepared for them.

Anyway - to address the original question - I doubt very much that the designers didn't think to share the data from lane to lane.

Reply to
Guy King

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 05:28:53 +0000, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Art:

Too bad they've already changing the cameras to defeat those morons.

Reply to
Alex Buell

In message , Art writes

Yeah, what's it got to do with car maintenance?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

"Lin Chung" wrote in news:ZEd8h.6054$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net:

I was under the impression the cameras were capable of multi lane use, but the legislation as it stands doesn't.

Reply to
Tunku

Nothing at all. Is car maintenance the sum total of your interest in motoring?

Reply to
Art

Hint: Read the title of this NG!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Art ( snipped-for-privacy@netcaba.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In this group, yes.

You'd be wanting uk.rec.cars.misc, uk.transport or - preferably - uk.rec.driving for this topic. You'd also find this one's been done to death over there already.

Reply to
Adrian

Just one of a multitude of off-topic posts. Still, where would we be without a whinger?

Reply to
Art

You must be using a different news server to me then!

Care to point out the last one you can see?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes, as it turns out.

How about re Sat Nav, dated 18th November?

Reply to
Art

And that constitutes a multitude?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Look further back. You'll find all kinds of off-topic posts about car insurance.

Reply to
Art

A third lane exit jockey. And a wrong lane retard is a similar beast, that is seen on roundabouts and traffic light junctions.

Both can be easily baited by equalising speed with them when you are in the correct lane. Quadrouple points can be gained by making them slam the anchors on both on the motorway, and the roundabout.

bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

In message , Art writes

Don't let the door smack your red neck on the way out Carl.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

If it wasn't for us this'd be de.entspannung.auto.wartung and you'd be writing in German. Blow that out your useless limey ass.

Reply to
Art

In message , Art writes

Stick to winning hearts and minds in Afghanistan/Iraq *

  • delete as applicable.

Oh, on a historical note Carl, the attempt by the Germans to invade Britain was repelled long before the good ol US of A got its act together.

Must remember to use a stronger fishing line next time.

Reply to
Paul Giverin