Speed on the Motorways

Hi, from my thread about speed cameras it seems that I was the only one actually doing 70 on the motorway (except in the example given) So what is the lowest speed that you have been given tickets for? in theory it should be 80mph because of the 10% thing which is around 78 79 if my maths are right Comments appreciated Richard.

Reply to
Richard Jones

In message , Richard Jones writes

Try uk.rec.cars.misc or uk.rec.driving

Reply to
Paul Giverin

71mph, the 10% is a guideline and is not the law. Though your speedo is probably 5% inaccurate anyway. it will read higher...
Reply to
Barry

IMO tailgating is much more of a problem on the motorway than speeding. But because we have a pre-occupation with speed, that's all we seem to regard as dangerous!

Someone overtook me yesterday, then pulled in less than 2 car lengths in front. No need for it - no one behind them - simply that because they drive that distance behind others, they consider it normal!

Bring back the traffic police!

Reply to
TTT

">

OK Let me know how many tickets have been issued for going at a true 71mph.

Reply to
tom

Reply to
Barry

Not on the motorway, but a newspaper (must be true then ;o) ) recently reported that a motorist had been fined for doing 31mph in a 30 zone, and a friend of the missus was similarly done at 44 in a 40.

I often ponder how much safer the roads are thanks to the maniacal overriding obsession with speed, every time some moron tries to take my front/rear (or sometimes both) bumpers off...

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Maybe 44mph in a 40 zone (still a bit doubtful, as the person usually claims to be travelling at a much lower speed than that clocked by the police!) but not a 31 in a 30. What paper and when? Just for interest. Most of the reports in papers cover the magistrates court where the speeds well are over the normal 10% +2 and the courts can impose more than the standard £60 + 3 points. If you are stopped going at 31 the police can give you just the standard penalty without going through the court system - this is not reported in the papers as it never reaches the courts. This is as far as I am aware, as I do not have personal experience mind.Most people would take that option as it is a bit of a gamble - magistrate with a bit of gout can go over the top if roused from slumber.

Reply to
tom

Re: Taking your front bumper off - DO the same to him

Re: Taking your rear bumper off - Ahh, thats what brake-testing is for....accelerate a little, but apply a little pressure on the brake pads, just enough for the brake-lights to come on. Be careful that your acceleleration is more than or equal to the pressure applied on the brakes though!

Last time I did that (exactly as described above), the person behind overtook at the next opportunity, pulled in hard and them slammed his brakes on. I only just managed to stop in time.

Reply to
TTT

Last time somebody did that, the driver behind had to swerve to avoid hitting him and crashed into another car, killing both occupants. The 'slam-on-the-brakes' driver - a doctor in fact - was jailed for 5 years.

Alec

Reply to
Alec

I wonder if they would also jail a child/animal that runs across the road and causes an accident like this?

Reply to
scott

You cant jail animals......

Reply to
Ben Organ

In news:4043baf1 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com, tom decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

didn't Sebastian Coe get nicked for driving at 71 mph on the M1?

*chortle*
Reply to
Pete M