Speedo cable, 99 Fiesta

My missus' speedo is a bit "wobbly". I guess this is the cable playing up. Can I grease it, or is it worth just replacing it? Is it a big job? Or, can it be something else?

Thanks! Mark

Reply to
Krycek

The plastic drive gear in the gearbox can die.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Krycek" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'd be amazed if something that new has a cable.

Reply to
Adrian

I wouldn't be.

That age Fester is pretty much a re-skinned MkIII which was just a re-worked MkII, which was little more than a re-skinned MkI....

From what I remember of the MkIII Fester / MkIV Escrote era, a wobbly speedo is usually a sign that that gearbox differential is on its way out.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

None of that actually makes a difference to the speedo drive, of course, and there's bound to be a speed sensor for the engine management.

Still. It's Ford, so anything's possible.

Reply to
Adrian

If it has the ancient pushrod boat-anchor and box, then it wouldn't surprise me if they retained the cable speedo drive.

Indeed.

Reply to
SteveH

they have a cable and a little adaptor for electronics where it goes onto the box.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I think you may be right. The diff wobbles about and chews the plastic speedo drive.

Reply to
Chris Bartram