Speedo with stickers..Legal?

I have a sharan which has a Speedo that under reads i.e. at 70 it shows 50. so I have stuck stickers to the Speedo to indicate the correct speed after doing a few speed checks with another car. is this legal? someone told me its illegal...but I cant see why it should be.

Steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

Take it back from the person you bought it from! You can do what you like to the speedo, boy races slap stupid things on them and make them light up wierd colours all the time.

Reply to
klf

I always thought that there was no legal requirement for you to have a speedometer fitted at all - let alone one that is accurate. You were required to observe any legally posted speed limit though but how you achieved that is up to you.

However, your query prompted me to do a quick search and the first hit was...

...which proved me wrong.

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

Agreed. A defective speedo could be a sign of a nasty on a second hand car purchase...

Does the mileometer work?

Reply to
Scott Mills

"...steps have already been taken to have defect remedied with reasonable expedition" I wonder if putting stickers on it would count as having the defect remedied.

It's unlikely the police would want to look at a wokring spedometer as you only normally speek to them while you're stationary.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

IIRC, to "comply" with this law, some TVR (or other sports car brand) has an entirely digital speedo in the dash, but due to some odd legislation, it then has to have a mechanical one in the engine bay.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I suppose that was so Plod could check your speed after you scooped him up on your bonnet.

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

Pete Smith (pete snipped-for-privacy@lethe.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which is Construction & Use - which is *never* enforced. It's not MOT.

That I'd doubt, since most cars have had electronically driven speedos for years, digital displays have been around for 20 years at least, and are hardly rare now.

Reply to
Adrian

It was shown on Top Gear (a few years ago) when reviewing a sporty car (Aston, Jag, TVR or something like that), and ISTR they actually showed the mechanical speedo in the engine bay, just next to the firewall, behind the steering wheel.

I thought it was rather odd at the time, but it was mentioned that legislation said it had to have a "mechanical" (meaning needly type thing) speedo, so it was fitted, but you couldn't see it.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Pete Smith (pete snipped-for-privacy@lethe.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Makes no sense to me...

I'd be surprised if any car now has a speedo cable, and digi speedos started to come in in the 80s...

Reply to
Adrian

Or they could have added different sized rims and not kept the speedo in sync by fitting the correct tyres.

Reply to
Hedley Phillips

I recently bought an old Toyota Townace at the auction and didn't notice until afterwards that the speedo was only showing kilometers. It's been through a few MOTs before I got it and no-one has complained as that is not part of the test. I should fix it but driving with a km/h only display does wonders for your sixteen times table.

Reply to
harry

I've driven many Japanese imports, with the speedos in km/h (or partially converted, so the speedo reads mph, but the odometer's recording in km) - and after a while you just mentally see a '40' sign and think '60', or a 60mph speedlimit you automatically convert to '100'.

So in my opinion, I wouldn't mind in the slightest if we ditched miles and fell into line with the rest of the developed world.

Plus I find it a lot easier to equate 0.1km as 100m (eg, speedhumps for 100m) than trying to work out how many yards are in 0.1 miles, as indicated by the odometer...

(I'm 30 years old btw, for those that think I should know how many yards are in a mile)

Rich.

Reply to
Rich Russell

Rich Russell ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not jap imports, but plenty of km speedos - and, again, no problem whatsoever.

But I can't, for the life of me, figure how far somewhere is "in the real world" in km as easily as in miles...

I'm 33. 1760 yards. Not that I've ever bothered about what %age of a mile has been inflicted with speedbumps.

Reply to
Adrian