stalling, throttle (gas) cuts out and then restarts

EU directive 2010/48/EU says a reason for failure is 'Control unit illegally modified', but I can't see where in the tester's manual that has been implemented.

There has also been some suggestion that fitting wider tyres than those originally supplied might mean a failure, even if otherwise legal, on the basis that they may take the vehicle outside of its designed emissions limit due to the increased rolling resistance!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

How will they know?

Reply to
Huge

Tell me more- seriously, I'm interested.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Indeed. An OEM ECU with a new map on it is hard to detect provably.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

There is one here -

It seems he may have meant a change of mapping though.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What do you want to know?

I have these;

Aftermarket ECUs are also available from Motech and MBE that I know of. Or you can brew your own with a Megasquirt. (So complex that you can build your own...)

Reply to
Huge

How about you stick to posting for yourself?

Reply to
Huge

Those seem to be around £450 for the basics, so not much different to an OEM ECU. As said low component count, does not equal simple.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just what would be involved, and the gain. The whole world of engine management interests me, ta.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I bought this;

Although, looking at the prices of S/H copies, I wish I'd kept it.

Reply to
Huge

$deity, it's not cheap is it?

What do you gain over, say, using an OEM ecu mapped? Or are your motors carbs originally?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Quite. I gave my copy away as a raffle prize. Still, it was for the Children's Society, so I can't be that unhappy.

You gain power & driveability. Carbs are always a compromise somewhere in the load/revs/advance map, whereas (if you have the patience), you can map the entire phase space with a management system and run lary cams but still be able to drive in traffic.

One car is on full management, the other on carbs with ignition management.

Reply to
Huge

I suppose with an aftermarket ECU it must be easier to custom-map than try to do it in the OEM one?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Very much so. OEM ECUs are usually designed to prevent modification of the maps.

Reply to
Huge

The manufacturer of mine offered two maps, an original and an upgraded one at extra cost with more power.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield