416 Auto problem

I discovered that the Coolant level was very low yesterday after the 'Check Engine' light lit up. So I topped it up and now the engine seems very sluggish...like the handbreak is on. This happens every time I pull away from a stand still, eg lights, junctions.

Serious?

All info will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Arthur

PS. This is the Honda 416 engine and its only done < 33K miles.

Reply to
Davao

Check the coolant level now. If it has fallen significantly could be blown head gasket.

Although the coolant level wouldn't trigger the check engine light. If the coolant level was very low I'm surprised you didn't see the temperature gauge in the red.

If the check engine light isn't showning now a bit of a mystery. Engine could be in limp home mode. Perhaps disconnect the battery for a good while (you'll need your radio code) connected it up again and see if there is any difference. The engine management will then learn the engine settings again.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

The Heat gauge was at maximum on the drive home last night (8/9 miles)

Reply to
Davao

Sorry...should say, ithe sluggishness disappears after..say..20 yards..then the car performs normally.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Blown head gasket.

Reply to
Conor

What year of 416 Auto? Which Engine? I had a L-reg 416GSi auto, Honda engine. It suffered from exactly the same symptoms you describe and it was a blown headgasket.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Thanks.

How much to replace?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

It cost about £275 to have sorted, including a skim, cambelt and tensioners.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P