Starting problem / white smoke

Double check the plug leads are on in the right order from the cam sproket end- 1342, and you know which way the rotor arm spins, and which point on the cap is number one!

Secondly, if this this in order you have the cam 180deg out (it rotates once for every 2 times of the crank)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

thought they had a dis pack ?

Reply to
reg

Borrocks - he's changed the valves, never mind the clearances!

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Yeah, theres no distributor, ignition timings controlled by the ECU, I think the cam is out going by what everyone has said, I'll have a look tomorrow, I've managed to find out the correct position for the cam lobes when the engine is at TDC no1 so i'll give it a check tomorrow now you've all pointed me in the correct direction.

Reply to
ron_k

No he hasn't. Both heads still have the same valves and clearances that they had before :o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Yes, but the clearances on the new head have fuggall to do with the fact that it was running fine before he started!

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

The message from Ian Dalziel contains these words:

Ah, I hadn't spotted that bit.

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Colin Stamp saying something like:

The replacement head might have totally buggered clearances.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ding!

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Thanks everyone for your help, I'm glad I found this forum!

Most of you were right, the cam was out 180 deg on the new head, fixed it today and adjusted the valve clearances and it started first time in a cloud of white smoke. Took it for a spin to clear it out and its running great now.

Cheers again, your a helpful bunch!

Reply to
ron_k

In news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, ron_k decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Oi!, take that back!

Reply to
Pete M

So why did you change the head gasket then?

Reply to
SimonJ

Because it was leaking slightly into cyl no1.

It wasn't greatly affecting the performance but it would of done if i'd left it to get worse.

Reply to
ron_k