Stolen Disco

Neighbour had a near new Disco stolen and not recovered. Says it's common. Their new one now sports a Crooklock. And they keep the keys in a special 'safe' so the bad guys can't capture the code. The garage told them to do this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LR products are one of the favourites for the last 5 years or so. Insurance can be difficult to obtain because of this. A standard cheap crooklock is a waste of time, only thatcham approved ones are worthwhile, but the Disklock is the best theft deterrent.

Reply to
MrCheerful

A big dog living in it is probably a worthwhile deterrent!

Reply to
Graham J

Daft, isn't it.

IIRC, some fifteen to twenty years ago the various Japanese 4x4s became a popular choice for thieves looking to do ram-raids, after which they all moved over to high spec immobilisers. These were a PITA for the average petrol head at the time because we could usually get anything broken to run with a bit of hacking around; after that you needed IT hardware and skills.

Reply to
newshound

In other words the car has a severe design fault.

Reply to
Graham T

So they're still true Land Rovers then!

Reply to
Scott M

Have they got less secure immobilisers than other similarly expensive vehicles, then?

Just used it as a generic term. It was a large yellow thing, and no doubt the most expensive on the market.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

I would imagine their popularity in this respect is more to do with their desirability in global markets.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I can see that with a Range Rover, but Disco? Thought its only appeal was as a tank to carry the kids in, for less money than other Chelsea tractors.

But am surprised it was apparently possible to drive it off without stealing the keys.

Even with my old Rover and aftermarket immobiliser, if you didn't have the remote to capture the code, you'd need to do a deal of re-wiring to even get it started.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anything with keyless start is prone to theft via an OBD connection, once you are in the vehicle it is 'merely' a matter of a connection and some software IIUC since everything works from the ecu, once you talk to that you are away. Range rovers rear passengers windows are easy way to get in, apparently.

Discovery is broken up for parts rather than re-sold abroad.

Reply to
MrCheerful

If they can't nick a Defender (the gold standard) they'll nick a Range Rover. If they can't nick that either, then the Disco is the next on the list. Freelanders, OTOH, are generally undesirable and hence require no special anti-theft measures.

Reply to
Al

A friend of mine bought one of the latest Freelanders about a year ago (he is well off from his own hard work and in his early 70's, so can do whatever he wants) Within 6 months he had chopped it in for a Range Rover Sport, he says he fancied a change, but I believe it was the stigma that the Freelander attracted at the golf club that prompted the PX.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I kind of suspect you are correct.

Reply to