Strange 'explosion' in my Vestra 1.8 Design

I am getting a spasmodic strange noise from within my 08 registered

1.8 Design. It is a noise that can only be described as a sudden load 'wooomph' which sound like all the vents have suddenly closed and changed the air pressure in the car. There is no effect on the driving of the car and no obvious event that causes it. It has happened twice in the last couple of months. It happens at speed 50-70 mph. It is most disconcerting when it happens. No warning lights no loss of power. nothing. Bloody frightening. Main Dealer not heard of it and has no idea. Anybody experienced it or has any idea what it is?
Reply to
Merryterry

Yeah, you bought a cheap knock-off copy of a Vectra...

Reply to
SteveH

Minor Petrol leak in a hot place?

Reply to
Adrian C

Easy, that's your last vestage of manhood escaping out of your life.

Reply to
Nige

Were you by any chance close to an airport runway when it happened?

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

Thus spake Merryterry ( snipped-for-privacy@fsmail.net) unto the assembled multitudes:

Do you feel any change of air pressure, or is it just a sound? Does it happen anywhere in particular like the same stretch of road? Perhaps it's a small patch of changed road surface (e.g. a repaired patch) that makes a sudden, brief change of tyre noise?

Reply to
A.Clews

Thanks your interest rather than the piss take of others.

No it is definately not road noise. It is a definate sudden and explosive change of air pressure in the car and you can hear a noise like some flaps in the air inlet system are suddenly closing and then instantly re-opening. I wonder if it could be an intermittent failure in whatever drives the ducted air direction operation?

Merryterry

Reply to
Merryterry

someones tired

Reply to
Nige

AC Compressor / Fan wotsits wobbling about on mount and suddenly hiting some reverberant metal when it's turned off?

Reply to
Adrian C

Thus spake Merryterry ( snipped-for-privacy@fsmail.net) unto the assembled multitudes:

I know the feeling :-)

My car's an Astra, and although a Vauxhall and with I expect some similarities of ventilation and a/c, I've never experienced this problem. Might be worth seeing what happens if the windows are left slightly open. If it's a cabin pressure thing (sounds a bit silly; it's not an aircraft after all!) then with the windows open it should prevent the problem. The fact that it seems to happen so infrequently doesn't help, though. Would be worth noting time of day, weather conditions, location, speed etc each time it happens, so as to look for similarities of condition or circumstance.

Reply to
A.Clews