harmonic balancer bolt

Is the harmonic balancer bolt a reverse thread? I have been trying to pull mine from a 1990 toyota truck. Its not budging, wondering if this is why. Have used an impact wrench, the starter method and have heated the bolt. Just wondering if Im just going the wrong way?!

-- Message posted using

information at

jasperdog44

More information at

MarvinShos via CarKB.com

It's Right hand thread. Try a long (~5') cheater bar/pipe on your breaker bar and 19mm socket. Put the truck in 1st gear, block the wheels, and engage the emergency brake. It'll pop loose!

Reply to
Jeff

Heating is not a good idea. Once you get the high strength bolt out, inspect the pulley because there is rubber in there.

Due to the heat, you should probably replace the bolt. I've done three timing belts and all bolts were regular thread (CW to tighten).

Yes, it is a real bear to break lose! I thought I was going to die or shear the bolt the first time I did it. Used a 5' cheater bar and broke 3 sockets. Had to custom make a jig to hold the pulley while removing the bolt.

Good Luck! Paul.

Reply to
Paul.

The thread is a standard thread on the bolt. I have found that the easiest way to hold the pulley in place is to use an old fan belt, wrap it back over itself until it binds on the pulley and then hook the loose loop of the belt on the truck frame. This saves removing the starter to bind up the flywheel. The other thing that works is putting the vehicle in 5th gear if it is a manual transmission with the emergency brakes on. Don't use 1st gear because the engine has more torque against the wheels and the truck will still creep on you as you turn the crankshaft. Buy a 6 point impact socket so you don't split it using the breaker bar. I have done plenty using this method with a 25" 1/2" drive breaker bar.

Reply to
Handyman

FWIW, in addition to the other posts, the kit that I got for my '99 Xcab had a replacement bolt in it. It also had a replacement shoulder bolt for the tensioner. You should be able to get both at a NAPA parts store, or at the dealer if neccessary.

Reply to
OldPhart