Subaru veering right after 50 miles ?!

Someone I know suffered a tyre blowout the other day. For some weeks before this they said that from about 50 miles into a journey the car felt as if it wanted to veer to the right, to the centre of the road. Subaru garage could find nothing wrong.

This doesn't make much sense to me but then I know little about this sort of thing and it's been relayed to me third hand. Does the 50 mile bit make any sense ?

Daytona

Reply to
Daytona

Total guess but could be tyre pressures? 50 miles sounds about what would be needed to get some heat into the tyres and whatever air that is in them is expanding at different rates?

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

maybe a binding brake would get hot and cause problems after around 50 miles. if it's done it a few times there should be discolouration on the caliper due to the heat, not sure if the heat could contribute to a blowout though, unless perhaps the tyre was damaged and/or overinflated then the extra heat could cause the pressure to burst the damaged tyre? just maybe's.

I'd expect a garage to spot a binding brake and a damaged and/or overinflated tyre though.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Was it a front tyre that blew.. if so, how has the vehicle been running since the replacement/s?.. Perhaps a fault was developing in the original tyre (when it got heated up by a longish run) which was originally missed when taken in to be checked out.

Reply to
ivan

That's the way I was thinking, because it's the only thing I could think of that would change during a drive. However I'd expect them to be fully warmed up a long time before then - say 5 miles of non urban driving ?

Daytona

Reply to
Daytona

Good one!

It no doubt depends upon the amount of ventilation, but I can imagine the area around the caliper getting bloody hot.

Interesting stuff - thanks

Yeah - unless she took it in as soon as she noticed and the discoloration wasn't present at that time - that's the only excuse I see open to them

Daytona

Reply to
Daytona

Dunno, sorry - won't know until after Christmas now.

Daytona

Reply to
Daytona

=================== Heat from the brake disk is certainly a possibility judging by my Peugeot

106. It has a small metal heat shield on each lower suspension joint which appears to be there to protect the swivel joint from the heat of the disk. The heat from an overheated disk might not travel to the tyre but it's still worth checking the brake to see if it has been overheating.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

It could be a problem with the rear wheels. The OP doesn't say if it was a front or rear tyre.

A few years ago after 50 odd miles of 'energetic' driving the brake lining decided to separate from the shoe which propmtly caused the rear wheel to lock up and swerve violently to one side.

Whether it was caused by damp causing the glue to let go or whether the shoe overheated I do not know.

In my case the tyre was flat-spotted and didn't blow but conceviably it could have burst.

The other thought is that maybe in the act of swerving the car hit a kerb and knocked the tyre off the rim?

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

: It no doubt depends upon the amount of ventilation, but I can imagine : the area around the caliper getting bloody hot.

Pal of mine one had a binding caliper on a Cavalier. When we stopped we could see the disk glowing.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

I imagine that it could damage the tyre when stationary and there's little airflow ?

Daytona

Reply to
Daytona

Reply to