Tesco 99 RON fuel.

Appears to be unversal available now. My local that never even stocked standard SUL has it along size the "Tesco Value" unleaded.

99RON is 100.9p a litre, luckily the Octavia doesn't need it. "Value" is 96.9p
Reply to
Elder

they started stocking it at the tesco just 0.5miles from where i work just after i sold the MR2 bastards! mind you now they never seem to damn have it! still the BM runs on 95 shit ok anyway

Reply to
Vamp

Yeah, the Saab would have loved it. Back in the later eighties they were recommending minimum 98 ron, when british super unleaded was 97 ron. Although the EPC models were designed to run on fuel as low as 92 RON "Standard" unleaded, even though the lowest we got even in the beginning was 95 RON "Premium"

Reply to
Elder

Numbers on pumps dont really mean a great deal, as batches of fuel can and do vary a great deal, and those batches with high ethanol content, will alter relative to atmospheric conditions on any given day.

If you require a stable high octane fuel for use in race engines, really the only way to go is to use specific race fuels, available in drums for around £5 per litre.

However it is possible to add toulene to fuels to allow running higher boost on turbo applications, but this doesnt seem to be as easily available here in the UK as it is in the US.

Ken

You f****it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Very very few UK spec cars will get any benefit from more than 95 octane petrol.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry thought this group was concerned with "modified" cars!..................Not all mods entail fitting chav style wagon wheels you know!

Ken

Your groveling apology is accepted.

Reply to
Steve Firth

True. My jap Celica turbo is setup to run on 100 octane petrol, and yes it does run better on Optimax than 95 octane, but unless one drives it hard, the difference is hardly noticeable. And at around 5p a litre more, I doubt there is any economical advantage in using it. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Very few, but for those that do, the tescos 99 is the best I've used so far. My low rpm pinking is gone.

Reply to
adder1969

Had a look when I called in for water, only 95RON here (though there are a few more stores I could try) even the 95 was at 97.9p

Reply to
Depresion

99RON is available at a local Sainsbury's and at several Shell garages, it's over £1 a litre at all of them.
Reply to
Steve Firth

In your case it probably means LED washer jets.

However, how many on here modify their cars in such a way as to get any benefit from higher octane petrol?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dunno about "on here" (in fact i don't really know why I read this group - I guess I'm bored) but all it'd take would be a head or block skim and you might be looking for higher octane petrol.

Reply to
adder1969

Wierd as my local Tescos only sells super at 97 octane not 99

Reply to
Ronny

Most new cars will benefit, I know mine does, newer engine management systems on turbo cars advance the timing when using 99 and gives slightly better MPG and increased power.

Reply to
Ronny

Actually they dont its tuther way about! They choose the correct timing unless detonation due to crap fuel or whatever is detected and then they retard it a little for a few secs and keep creeoing it back to "correct" setting.

Instead of using 98 or 99 fuel you could also fit a slightly cooler thermostat. Use plugs a couple of grades cooler. Use plugs that have a shorter end (ie not projected nose type) as it gives a longer flame path and so effectively retards or slows the burn. Or add a little methanol to your fuel.

Or all of the above...

Reply to
Burgerman

99 ron water? Is that some strange mineral compound?
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Except this was for a factory standard road engine. But 98 RON unleaded was available in the country of manufacture, and it=20 could run on 92 RON if needed to allow a europe wide sale of the model,=20 due to the built in knock sensing boost controller.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Me, I have one car that needs a minimum of 98RON since changing the supercharger and I'm working on another. Not that my daily driver needs it (though it dose have serious detonation) but then again it's a TDi with 30% more that standard power.

Reply to
Depresion