TESCO petrol - Is it Pooh?

The message from StephenH contains these words:

Been there ever since I can remember.

Reply to
Guy King

Interesting you should say that, actually - it's something I was going to ask about...

I've been using Shell petrol (the normal unleaded, not that Optimax stuff) of late, since they're the cheapest around my way.

I've noticed that in my Lada (which doesn't have a catalytic convertor), it makes a really noticeable smell of sulphur. There's nothing wrong with the way it runs compared with other brands of petrol, but that's the only one I've used (in comparison with Esso and Texaco) which smells like that. It's b****y horrible! I haven't noticed the same effect in my Megane, which does have a catalyst, but I suppose I don't drive that as much (not sure whether it says more about the state of my mind or the state of French motor design that I prefer driving a Lada!).

So what's going on here? I thought modern petrol was supposed to be 'ultra low sulphur'. It certainly claims to be on the pump!

Still, I'm not paying an extra 5p a gallon just to smell nice...!

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Ruth

THat one is in fact true. Its to do with the sulphur levels in the unleaded corroding the linings. Only happens on the V8 BMWs though.

Reply to
Conor

And mostly in the North East, when the car was run on _supermarket_ petrol. IIRC.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

It would appear that the well-being of an expensive fuel pump is totally dependent on the fuel suppliers doing their job correctly.

Are there additives that one can purchase to 'guarantee' that the pump gets its required amount of lubrication, if so what would you recommend?

Reply to
ivan

you seem to have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick. The diesel is formulated by the refiner to ensure that it meets all requirements of the minimum standard. Any chemical added at the tanker level is optional and supplementary. No domestically produced derv is below standard and injector pumps will run trouble free for more than the design life of the engines given normal luck and good design.

If you must use an additive which adds even more cost to every litre of fuel, I have used Forte with noticeable effect from time to time. Equally effective as a once-a-year treatment for sticky injectors [producing white smoke at cold starts] is good old ATF oil at a one off pint to every 10 gallons of diesel fuel. The effect is not instant, but if the tank is topped up at half full point several times to prolong the dose, by the time 500 miles has past it will have done a job that tends to last a year or more.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thanks for the info Huw, it's just that after reading posts from people who have had £1,500 worth! of fuel pump replaced under warranty, then it's obvious that one wants to adopt a line that gives a pump the longest and easiest ride possible.

Reply to
ivan

cheaper

produced

litre

time.

gives

If they have had fuel pumps replaced under warranty then it is almost certain that there was a manufacturing or design defect. It is extremely unlikely that the refined quality of the fuel was to blame. If indeed it was the fuel to blame, then the manufacturer would be able to tell this and would not have replaced the pump free under warranty as it would have not been their fault, if you get my drift. Injector pumps normally work an average of 12000 hours between overhauls IME. That would equate to about 350,000 miles in a reasonably maintained car. Water is the major pump killer.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Do you know if a slight misalignment of a fuel pump damage it?

As when I replaced the cam belt on my 1.7 Astra diesel I couldn't quite get the mark on the pump pulley to line up with the one on the engine block.

The reason being that when the mark on the pulley was 'almost' in line with the one on the block, it shot forward by about half revolution because of some of kind of powerful spring action, and because of the very confined space I was forced to leave it in the original position that I had found it, about one belt notch before true alignment.

Reply to
ivan

It won't damage your pump, there's nothing inside that can interfere.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Thanks Duncan, the performance still appears to be OK, however I just wondered if it would have been that 'little bit' better had I been able to get the marks to line up exactly.

Reply to
ivan

You can time it up seperately with a DTI, there's alongish thread on this. It does make things a little better.

Reply to
DuncanWood

forgot to say that the merc was an e-class (200) and it had been back twice to the dealer 'cos of poor running/starting etc

Reply to
maxwell

The last time I put Shell petrol into my car was 6 years ago. It took two months to get the car back onto the road.

I took the sludge I had drained from the tank back to the garage and was offered a free tank of their petrol. I wont repeat my response.

Reply to
dp