Oi, Vampy, check out your local (or Bluewater) Tesco petrol.

Apparently, been posted to the GT4oc a few times, down your way, Tesco are trialing replacing LRP with 99 ron unleaded. Don't know how much but.

99 OCTANE STORES: Beford 1 Cheshunt Extra Crawley Hazelwick Gallions Reach Extra Gillingham Kent Lakeside Extra Ramsgate Manston Salisbury 2 Sandhurst Extra Sevenoaks Riverhead Stevenage Extra Winchester

Sleeker GT Phwoar

I noticed the post on Chets retro forum, is it being trialled or actually rolled out, 99Ron sounds cool, apparently its 6p cheaper than optimax

Reply to
Ronny

It's been introduced first in those areas, then nationally I think. They are trying to do away with lead replacement petrol (LRP) and need something that will work like old 4 star.

LRP was 97ron. Real 4 star was 98ron. A lot of family sized cars needed

4 start to run properly, then the next thing they did was take the lead out and make it 95ron, and family cars lost their performance because the timing had to be retarded.
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

just a daft Question, but how long before its safe for Cat equipped cars to use this fuel? I believe LRP kills a Cat as fast as 4 star would (although I could be wrong (but don't tell anyone I admitted that, I mean, this IS Usenet!!)..

also will it make much difference to modern (French in my case) small cars?

will it make a huge difference when I get an new model MX 5 (if I get it)?

I'm lucky enough to have one of the trial area's near me..

Loopy

Reply to
loopy livernose

All unleaded is fine for cat equipped cars, it benefits Turbo charged cars more as the higher octane allows the cars ECU to advance the timing..

If you car is equipped with knock sensors and a multimap programme then you will benefit from optimax etc, in my dads 240bhp Saab the difference is amazing, much smoother power and better fuel economy, my turbo Audi is better but its not as noticeable, although the fuel economy goes up quite a bit.

A MX5 or any other NA engine car is designed for 91-95 fuel and you wont notice as much of a difference, but give it a try. It won't hurt

Reply to
Ronny

Its not LRP, its higher octane rating unleaded - like Optimax :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Yeah LRP is just super unleaded but with an additive which replaces the lead, the additive will kill your cat as quick as lead will.

Reply to
Ronny

It's worth realising that lead performs two functions, lubrication and octane booster. It lubricates by coating all metal surfaces in lead compounds that then prevent the surface from wearing or burning away.

A cat works by coming into contact with the exhaust gases and once coated with lead or some other metal lubricant used as a replacement, has to be replaced to greenise the car again enough to pass the MoT.

Octane number is different and is about how the mixture behaves in the cylinders. You can tune the car in various ways and the higher the octane, the more of the energy in the fuel you can get out, thus getting more power and more MPG from the same quantity of fuel.

This boils down to:

If your car can use higher octane fuel - and most can't - it can do higher MPG and be more sporty using it.

If it can't, it's no different to regular unleaded, same MPG and same performance.

If you have an older car, designed for four or five star fuel, it will currently be tuned down to manage on leaded, and will run *much* better on 100 octane fuel providing it is retuned for this type of fuel, and if you switch back to the regular stuff you can expect it to pink, knock, predetonate and therefore you would have to carry octane booster around in case you got caught short without the right sort of fuel.

If the car needs leaded, it still needs leaded and 99 octane won't help it in that sense, although it might hasten its demise.

In almost all cases with small / modern cars, you can run it on any unleaded fuel and it will make no difference,.

Reply to
Questions

The 99 Octane unleaded, is just harder to combust unleaded. LRP or leaded fuel will kill your Cat. This won't

If you've upped the compression through a Skimmed head or advanced the timing so far you get knock, it will help.

Is it an import model that should have been specced to run on 100 or 102 octane Jap unleaded? If so, it will run much better, if not, you might get a cleaner engine or slightly better economy. If you ECU can "learn" new fueling needs/capabilities after an ECU reset, you might find it advances the timing further to give a btter responce and punch when flooring it.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

What the flying furry fuckfest are you wibbling on about ? :)

Quite possibly, but 99RON unleaded is not LRP...

No.

No.

Reply to
LordyUK

basically how long before any "traces" of LRP will be diluted into non cat killing quantities. (assuming they havent cleaned the tank out 100% first)

sorry i didnt make that clearer.

BTW Thanks for all the responses..

Loopy

Reply to
loopy livernose

cheers already got a heads up from peeps at imoc.co.uk on this, hope it takes off as there's a tesco down the road from where i work over in laindon basildon hehe :)

Reply to
Vamp

Did you run the car with the LRP in before you realised the mistake? Depending on what chemicals were used in that particular recipe LRP, it could be instant death CAT. May depend on whether the CAT was fully warmed up of course.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I think he means the tank at the petrol station, the underground bit where all the fuel is stored. If they're using the same one thats had LRP in, now for this 99 RON stuff.

Reply to
DanTXD

Ah, good point. Wouldn't matter a shit to me anyway, I've ordered my Decat Pipe, and as mines a 1990, it didn't matter if the original is foobared. Sometimes I think I can hear bits of it fluttering arround, Ofcourse it could be exhaust wheel eating tiself.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Ah, quite different. Pretty much straight away. The traces of lead that are left in parts per million overnight might get onto the cat but since it is only spots and bits, it'll burn them off when it gets hot.

Reply to
Questions