test drive tips

I'm planning on going to see a '97 Volvo S40 SE auto tomorrow, 130k on it, they're looking for about =A31400. I've driven but never test-driven autos before. Any tips from those who have as to what to look out for on an auto of this make/model/age/miles?

TIA

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

Changes should be quick and smooth. What engine is it?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The 2.0.

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

  1. It's the wrong engine. All the consumption of the turbo, all the performance of the 1.8GDi
  2. It's got a towbar, find out what it's been towing.

Other than that, just check everything works and try and get the price down a bit.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

hmm, just how bad are we talking average mpg? performance itself I'm not that fussed about, as long as it's not struggling that is..

Yeah, planned on it, made that mistake before with an old cavalier..

Cheers.

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

Not too bad, just it's a shame to spend money on the 2.0 and not get the turbo which is a much better drive. Engine should go on forever though and is cheaper to service than the Gdi with it's expensive parts.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

just to stick my bit in dont get an auto unless you really need an auto other wise just wait a bit and keep looking

Reply to
Mindwipe

Is that comment specific to volvo's, the s40 or just of a more general nature? I don't -need- an auto but I'd quite -like- an auto. I'm looking for auto, large-ish, comfy and, to please swmbo, half-decent looking, in this price bracket. This seemed a good fit?

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

Give it a bit of welly! Check everything works. Nine years old-fourteen and half thousand a year (that's more than average). It's on it's last legs, offer the real value; £950. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Agreed with reservations - turbo + auto goes really well, be it diesel or petrol.

If I liked the car and the autobox was smooth and responsive I wouldn't let the gearbox dictate my purchase decision.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

/last legs/

you know /so/ little about volvos.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Your right, I would say £750 was a better offer.

Reply to
sQuick

you still know so little about volvos

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

General.

They use more fuel, you get less oomph.

Reply to
Conor

130k is barely run in. My mates Vectra TD has 230k on the clock still on the original turbo. Never had a spanner to the engine. Pulls like a train, flies through the emissions for MOT and he does alot of towing with it too.
Reply to
Conor

The message from "Mindwipe" contains these words:

Yes, do. They're wonderful. You just sit back and watch the road and enjoy the ride and you don't have to row it along the road.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Conor contains these words:

Must like my A100 2.5TDI. Very slight oil mark round one end of the rockerbox gasket and that's about it. Does 40-45mpg despite being an auto.

Reply to
Guy King

Yer kiddin right? Come on, is this worth =A3750 or nearly twice that? I've got a P plate 106 with 60k on it that I could punt for way more than that.

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

And by P of course I mean V.

Reply to
Chandy

Many autos have better acceleration figures than the manual equivalents. And many now have similar economy. Real world economy isn't much different. Engine life tends to be better and they are much safer buy second hand.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp