Tyre Fitters

Does the typical tyre fitter care about where he shoves the trolley jack - are they trained to locate it properly?

I am considering crawling under my car to see if the monkey who fitted my tyre avoided essentials such as exhaust, brake pipes, fuel pipes, etc.

Reply to
John

Of course they did muppet. The only way they could catch fuel and brake lines is if they're insecure or have been incorrectly fitted by the manufacturer.

By that statement, you've just confirmed you know f*ck all about the underside of a car.

Reply to
Conor

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You never looked under your XM, did you?

The hydraulic pipes - yes, mine are properly clipped in to the original manufacturer's clips in the proper place - would be easy to get with a misplaced trolley shoved randomly under.

Reply to
Adrian

ahh well but some cars run them inside...

Reply to
john

And if you did try jacking a car under any pipes, the crushed pipes would be the least of your worries. The reshaped floorpan would be the far bigger worry.

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

No, I'm sane.

Really? I thought they'd be routed like most are.

Still, there's always one.

Reply to
Conor

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Considerably more pipes.

Reply to
Adrian

I would imagine most hydraulically run Cits would look like a plumbers nightmare underneath. Rather like my central heating.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

never come across any probs with citroens nice cars nice drive have changed pipes no probs really as for tyre fitters well dont get me started

Reply to
Mindwipe

I did notice a change at my local depot recently. The monkeys who change the tyres were careful to put a rubber pad on top of the jack first, and look carefully where they positioned it. When the job was complete, they called the head monkey (I can vouch for this, I used to teach him!) to check the wheelnuts with a torque wrench and sign their job card. I've used this place for years (it's cheap!) and they've never done this before. Either they have had a claim, or there are new regs, or they're trying to meet a BS approval, don't know quite what.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

A local to me tyre shop jacked under the sump of a merc. and cracked it, this cost them more than a grand.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

My local one has done this too for the last couple of years. To my shame I can't remember which particular company they are, (might be Budget) but I do remember seeing the Capri 2.8 they had in collapse to the floor whilst on a jack a few years ago. I don't think it was the condition of the car, cos it was minted, and the jack was somewhere in the middle with both offside wheels off.... I always stay with the car when I have to use one of these places, just to make sure. The last time I used one was for a quick replacement of the rear box on my Volvo 740. They had a bit of a struggle till I pointed out they were trying to hang the rear silencer upside down, so the S shaped rear pipe was never going to fit without fouling the rear bumper. The chief monkey was all for firing up the gas welder to make it fit, until I insisted on going underneath the lift to show them how it was meant to go together. (This was on my destruction project 740 estate that had done 200,000 miles without a single service)

-- Stuart Might have ben jack failure. :-)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I think it's a legitimate concern. The jacking points vary from car to car and there seems to be no particular rule of thumb, unless you happen to be a structural engineer.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Of course there's a rule of thumb. You just don't know it.

Reply to
Conor

Cavalier Mk 2?

The designers thought it would be a good idea to run the fuel line along the floor pan, so that it could be cut by thieving bastards, and have the potential to be crushed by a clueless spanner monkey.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Well over the years to be fair more often than not i've had "some" damage every time somebody has jacked my cars, from the AA man who crushed the fuel tank flat on a e30 BM to the ass hole who cut two slots into the sills of a old merc with the V on their massive axle stands while doing an exhaust job. I think more often than not they just don't give a damn and just shove the jack somewhere where they think there won't be too much damage. When i jack my own cars i always use a piece of wood between the jack saddle and the sill seems to prevent most damge. Even a trolley jack in the correct place tends to cuts little notches in the sills in my experience, hence the bit of wood in between. I also have a jack with a rubber pad but find the weight of the car and the small contact points just crush it to the extent that the sills still get damaged, hence the block of wood.

Dilbert

Reply to
Dilbert

Having had a petrol line crushed on a Renault 9 some years ago by a tyre fitter I concur. I didn't notice it until the following morning when a damp patch and melted tarmac indicated a problem!

Reply to
Doctor D

Can't get slacker than a quick s**t fitter? :o)

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

: Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they : were saying : : : >> You never looked under your XM, did you? : : > No, I'm sane. : :

Tumbleweed blows slowly across set. In the distance a coyote howls mournfully.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: I would imagine most hydraulically run Cits would look like a plumbers : nightmare underneath. Rather like my central heating.

The DS is fine - the only pipe underneath is the petrol pipe.

You don't want to think about what runs inside the LH sill, though ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston