Fiesta 1.25 Zetec Engine Problems - Help Needed

Hi

My sons 1997 Fiesta recently had a replacement engine fitted. The replacement engine has done 29K miles. I had a new CAM belt fitted and have no reason to doubt the quality of the work. However, the guys that fitted the engine (on the cheap) called to say that the replacement engine is fitted and come and collect the car. They also said it is not running very well and needs to go to a diagnostic machine to fault find.

The original alternator, starter motor etc were fitted when the replacement was fitted.

The car is not running smoothly. When the throttle is depressed the engine revs are erratic. The car stalls at low revs.

I have called a number of garages, explained the history and they are not willing to get involved. Has anyone got any ideas as to what the problem is. My son has contacted the salvage company who supplied the engine to ask for the ECU to be sent. Unfortunately this was crushed this afternoon.

Reply to
jerry

Why did you get the belt replaced on an engine with only 29 k on it?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It made sense to replace the belt (cost =A318) as I could not be sure that the engine had covered only 29K. The engine was very clean inside, which is consistent with the stated mileage by the salvage company.

Reply to
jerry

the engine has come from a accident damage vehicle (i'm guessing a front end damage) check the sensors very close to the raditor MAF and TPS these may be damaged , also check the inlet manifold for cracks

Reply to
ford_technical_

The Salvage company advised that the damage was rear end. Where exactly are the MAF & TPS sensors, thanks

Reply to
jerry

Book it into a garage, but don't tell them the history. Just say it's not running very well, and you want a diagnostic check done on it.

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

ok the MAF(mass air flow)is on the intake trunking. the TPS(trottle position sensor) is on the trottle body

how ever is this engine from exactly the same month and year ?/same features? it may just need a PCM reproggrame from the dealer

Reply to
ford_technical_

The ECU from the previous car will be of no use to you as it has the immobilizer built in and with your current keys wouldnt allow the car to start.

Without examining the car, on the face of it you either have a MAF problem or leak on the inlet manifold somewhere which is admitted unmeter-ed air, leaving the fuelling rather weak / incorrect.

However, it could be down to another fault caused by poor installation / butchery from the engine fitters which could take some time to find.

Start by having the cam timing checked properly, then any fault codes read, then cleared. Drive the car abit and then see which codes (if any) have returned. Do NOT consider any initial codes as gospel, unless the same ones re-appear, as they were probably cuased by the the fitters playing about with it.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Check the easy stuff, look at all the pipework for splits, cracks or ill fitting. Vacuum hoses cause grief if they leak, usually causes excessive lumpy idle, erratic revving when the throttle is depressed and stalling. ECUs don't tend to cause that sort of problem - they either work or they don't. The ECU off the old car will be useless anyway as it has the key code for the old car programmed causing the immobiliser to kick in. My money is on an air leak as mentioned, not expensive if you locate it yourself, but garages may charge a fortune in labour hunting for it.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Thanks for all your help. I'll certainly check the easy stuff first. Thanks once again

Reply to
jerry

Reply to
bedfordkeys

when a ecu is loses its power supply the idling codes have to be reset by using a computer or if this is the case try driving the car for a few days and the codes should reset themselves

Reply to
bedfordkeys