That Pug 306 & its clutch

So I got on and did the slipping clutch on the ancient wreck of a mate's

306. Now, I've never done clutches on FWD stuff so was a little apprehensive. I've never had to do grown up tight driveshafts only stub axles with taper bearings, things like that. So I panic bought a £20 1m 3/4" breaker bar, 35mm socket and... fingers crossed.... will it....

Oh, that was easy.

I could have probably got away with a shorter bar although I have ended up with a long scaff pole on my 1/2" breaker before now for things so it'll earn its keep in future.

Then there's the gearbox itself. In the DIYs and threads about this sort of car people always call them heavy. I don't like heavy. Heavy is a Discovery gearbox + the 5th gear extension box + transfer box + handbrake drum. Heavy is a RWD autobox. If a heavy thing drops there's no way I'm getting it back up off the ground. It'd be easier to dig holes and lower the car back over it. I can move heavy things if I must but I'd rather not.

So I worried about this. I got my trolley jack under the gearbox; I had bits of threaded rod through the bellhousing back into the block to steady it; I worried I should have block and tackle.

Turns out it's tiny.

I rather suspect that the DMF I had to hold above my face while I bench pressed it back into the Discovery was heavier than this box & bellhousing.

I think I need to get my sense of perspective adjusted. The problem must stem from that last time I owned a FWD car (14-15 years ago), I didn't have any proper tools, nothing chunkier than a 3/8" socket set and a lack of practical experience. And this seems to blind me as, in reality, I've actually lost track of the number of things I've done in 5 minutes flat with no fore-knowledge that, if I go Google, find great long discussions declaring them highly tricky and time consuming.

I think I ought to have more faith in myself!

Reply to
Scott M