Roof Boxes

I have a Fiat Marea Weekend - the estate with the roof rails.

I'm thinking of getting a roof box for it, but don't know much about them.

Are there boxes which will fit directly on the rails, meaning I don't need to buy roof bars as well?

Thanks in advance for any comments

Reply to
Dave D

I've never seen one. Roof boxes are one of those things that occasionally get sold off cheapish as end of line models, work out what you want to put in it as some of the big ones have really low weight limits.

Reply to
DuncanWood

No, and it won't be safe, as the horizontal bars provide secure anchorage points for your box. Boxes come in different widths and roof bars are there to accommodate them. Tremendous air resistance is exerted on roof box when you are travelling on the motorway, for example, so secure fixing is essential. I can recommend Thule range. Bars and fitting kits come to around £70, and can be used for carrying other things, like flatpack furniture from MFI.

Alec

Reply to
Alec

Expect a big reduction in fuel economy. If you can fit something in the back there is little difference.

In my view the fixed size of a roof box limits its usefulness. They cannot carry items that wont fit in the back. Their only use is if you want to carry extra clothes on your holiday and you don't want the rain to get to them. With a small car they might be useful. Ask yourself if it is ever likely that you will fill the back with luggage and still want to take more. In contrast I have found roof bars very useful for carrying awkward sized items.

Reply to
dp

I find mine good for carrying things just over 2m long that don't fit inside the car & I'm not leaving survey poles strapped to roof bars for obvious reasons.

Reply to
DuncanWood

The message from DuncanWood contains these words:

In case someone takes ½" off each one surruptitiously?

Reply to
Guy King

Enlargement? Poles?

Sir!

Reply to
James Dore

You don't need to do that any more. Since the EU enlargement the poles can now travel freely.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

The message from Johannes H Andersen contains these words:

Can they cross the equator?

Reply to
Guy King

Some of them have been known to :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Can they cross the equator? Of course they can. They just take the elevator from the North pole to the South pole.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

The message from Johannes H Andersen contains these words:

Don't the devils inside eat them?

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Clive George" contains these words:

We're about due a magnetic reversal, innit?

Reply to
Guy King

Err no, cos they're sodding expensive . Well they're quite expensive & the custom bits of aluminium to attach the PDA & accessories to are suprisingly expensive & the Active GPS aerial on the top cost more than my car.

Reply to
DuncanWood

The message from DuncanWood contains these words:

Yeah, I knew that - I was just wondering how long it'd be before you noticed half and inch missing off the end.

Reply to
Guy King

First time you use it on a job you are actually anal enough to remeasure it (As you can fit different adapters they're not all the same length) & at the start of each day you take a reading from a known datum as a cheap idiot check. Besides sawing the bottom off a carbon fibre pole & glueing the 5/8UNC thread socket back on's beyond the average yob, they just settle for pushing the theodolit over & leaving you to deal with the 4 figure repair bill.

Reply to
DuncanWood

So, as I said, you don't need to hide them in roof boxes any more.

Reply to
dp

Yep - I used to drive cheap cars too....... ;) LOL

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I do apologise Sir. It has now come to my attention, in particular from receiving doses of so called 'spam' mails, that Enlargement and enlargement apply to very different different areas of human endevour.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Well the insurance claim for th elsat system would have bought me new a6 :-)

Reply to
DuncanWood